Yi Yi transfer from Fox Lorber terrible. Any better versions elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I got the Region 1 NTSC version of Yi Yi , but the transfer is truly terrible. Even my Apex converting PAL movies to NTSC is much better.
    Are there any other versions of Yi Yi out there?
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I saw this film in the theater about 3 weeks before picking up the DVD. Now I haven't watched the whole disc yet, but I did watch enough to feel that it look very similar to the print I saw. It wasn't always a "beautiful" looking film in terms of being sometimes a bit grainy, or overlit, etc.
    It was a far cry from something like In the Mood for Love.
    But that's just my opinion on it.
    I do recall maybe some shimmering early on with the DVD. I'm hoping to get some time to watch this disc pretty soon (I'm backlogged on my "to watch" DVD purchase list by about 30).
    ------------------
    Greetings from the Humungus! The Lord Humungus!
    The Warrior of the Wasteland!
    The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!

3. Eugene Hsieh

Yes, lots of shimmering on this disc, and there seems to be problems with panning and fast moving objects - jerky, like it's skipping frames. Plus, many scenes have very poor resolution.
    I can't quite recall how bad the original movie print was when I saw it in the theatres, but it was significantly clearer than this DVD.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 12, 2001 at 09:38 AM]

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Fox Lorber is incapable of making a decent DVD, since they won't spend any money to have them mastered properly. Therefore, I don't buy them. Period. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Seems like the only way Fox Lorber can put out a half-decent looking product is to re-use transfers previously put out by Criterion for the same title (i.e. The Killer, Hard-Boiled; maybe even The 400 Blows -- I don't know for sure). Otherwise, you're paying good money for transfer work done by incompetents. I still can't forgive them for what they did to Ran....
    Let's hope that Anchor Bay rep at Studio Day was right about them not having sold Ran's rights back to Fox Lorber.
    ------------------
    Mark K. Lee
    "Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
    - Tom Lehrer

6. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

There was a Japanese disc with English subtitles released in August; I haven't heard anything about the quality, though. Also a Hong Kong disc released, although I wouldn't trust the HK disc to be any better than the Fox Lorber version. The Japanese disc is about $40, and anamorphically enhanced, if that counts with you.

7. Eugene Hsieh

OK I guess I will not buy Fox Lorber discs from now on. [​IMG] How hard can it be to create a reasonable transfer? Even if the print is mediocre, the a reasonable transfer should be mediocre, no?. This transfer is just bad (although not as bad as my Chinastar Qiuju Da Guan Si).
    I will look for reviews of the Japanese and HK discs.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

As noted, the film was poor on the resolution scale and artifacts were overly abundant. For such a beautiful and richly layered film, those distractions cast a hefty shadow. No, it's not unwatchable, but with the ability to create such pristine transfers on recent films, Fox Lorber dropped the ball. Again.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

10. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

After just spent more than $60.00 Canadian on Ran, I am so pissed off at Fox Lober that I will never buy another DVD from them, regardless of the quality of a movie.

11. Eugene Hsieh

By the way, does anyone have a scoop as to what the true issue with the DVD is? I too initially thought it might have something to do with a bad PAL-->NTSC transfer, but then I thought:
    1) The movie would have been shot at 24 fps anyway, no? Ie
    2) Even my relatively low end Apex (albeit modified) does a MUCH better job of playing PAL movies on my NTSC TV, without the same artifacts.
    3) In some areas the quality of the movie trailer is actually superior to movie itself (and everyone knows that video quality of movie trailers on DVDs usually suck).

12. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

We should be able to tell if it was a PAL to NTSC xfer by the running time: is the Fox-Lorber version 4% shorter than the theatrical release?
    If only Anchor Bay would start a foriegn film division and buy out Fox-Lorber...
    Ted

13. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

14. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"If only Anchor Bay would start a foriegn [sic] film division... "
    ...er... ahh... ummm...
    ...what are Paul Verhoeven's Dutch movies and Werner Herzog's German movies in the Anchor Bay DVD catalog if not 'foreign'?...
    . . . ? [​IMG] ? . . .
    [Edited last by Hendrik on October 15, 2001 at 05:55 PM]
    [Edited last by Hendrik on October 15, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

quote: what are Paul Verhoeven's Dutch movies and Werner Herzog's German movies in the Anchor Bay DVD catalog if not 'foreign'?...[/quote]
    I have all of Paul Verhoeven's Dutch movies from Anchor Bay as well as Diva and 2-3 others -- call them non English language films.
    The point is that Fox-Lorber releases almost exclusively non-English language films, and in the process have massacred many of my personal favorites. Lets take Diva as an example – the Fox-Lorber version had a completely unintelligible soundtrack (this for a movie that is about music as much as anything) and a shitty non-anamorphic transfer. The Anchor-Bay version sounds great and has a beautiful anamorphic transfer – night and day! However the Divas coming out of Anchor Bay are very few and far between – they specialize in horror/cult films. Regardless of my personal taste, I’m not questioning AB’s choices, if it pays their rent, great. But I would love it if they had a division that went after the exact same territory as Fox-Lorber, and stopped F-L from ruining the life’s work of many of the greatest directors from Truffaut to Rohmer to Kurusawa.
    Ted
    [Edited last by Ted Todorov on October 16, 2001 at 11:14 AM]