What's new

yet another UPS screw up (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
GOD I hate UPS. They're even less competent than the USPS and that says A LOT.
So I ordered a pronto last week, been keeping up on it's progress via the tracking # and this AM I see it's out for delivery on the truck.
So I KNOW the ups guy comes between 1 and 3 always, so I duck out of work just before noon (half hour early) and skip my 1pm class to wait for the package.
come home, turn on the tv and surf the web from shortly after 12 until 2:30, track the package again at 2:30 and I see;
Nov 9, 2001 1:18 P.M. GRAND FORKS (5671), ND, US RECEIVER NOT IN ON 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT
6:30 A.M. GRAND FORKS (5671), ND, US OUT FOR DELIVERY
4:00 A.M. GRAND FORKS (5671), ND, US ARRIVAL SCAN
2:28 A.M. FARGO, ND, US DEPARTURE SCAN
Nov 8, 2001 11:00 A.M. FARGO, ND, US ARRIVAL SCAN
3:42 A.M. MINNEAPOLIS, MN, US DEPARTURE SCAN
1:59 A.M. MINNEAPOLIS, MN, US LOCATION SCAN
I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE NOON!
they didn't call from the front door (controlled access) they didn't knock, they didn't leave a delivery slip ANYWHERE in, on, or about the building.
I could strangle someone right about now, I'll be LUCKY to get my pronto on MONDAY now, as the ups office is open a whole HOUR a day, from 5pm to 6pm.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I would call them and let them know what happened. Give them the tracking number as well.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I would call them and let them know what happened. Give them the tracking number as well.
hhahaha
yeah. I did that.
"I'll send an urgent msg to the center and they'll call within an hour"
I'm not holding my breath. I learned a long time ago UPS doesn't give a fuck.
in 2 years I've had;
1 computer monitor DESTROYED
a Qlogic dual 10" subwoofer box damaged (they're built like a TANK how do yo break one??)
1 package left at a completely wrong house 3 blocks away
1 package they scratched off my CURRENT address, and left at MY OLD PLACE 3 months after I moved.
1 package delivered to a neighbor that went *poof*

Andy_S

Second Unit
I avoid UPS for this reason. I once tracked a package that went from Kentucky all the way to the town I live in (I can almost see the UPS station from my house!) then for some reason they took it to Ohio and then brought it back and delivered it to my house. It added 2 days to the travel time for no good reason!
Also, my brother-in-law bought a really nice (expensive!) telescope online and UPS delivered it with a big dent in the body of the scope! We looked at the box and noticed a big workboot footprint on it!
furious.gif

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with the USPS. And they do Saturday deliveries at no extra charge!
------------------
Check out my:
Home Theater
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I had never had a problem with the USPS until last summer, they lost a package sent to me. But again, very few places ship them
frown.gif

$3.50 for 3rd day service vs 5 bucks for 5 day service with UPS
[Edited last by Philip_G on November 09, 2001 at 03:23 PM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
WOW
I actually have to hand it to them this ONCE. THe lady from the local office called, and got in touch with the driver. He can't come back by but they sent someone to grab the package and I can pick it up tonight.
the first time UPS has ever made something right for me.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
If I understand it correctly, they let YOU pick up the package, when the delivery guy could have avoided all this by simply ringing your doorbell or knocking? I wouldn't call that "doing things right".
quote:
in touch with the driver. He can't come back
[/quote]
Does he have a terminal disease? Did they take away the keys to his truck? Did it get a flat tire? There aren't a lot of good excuses why they couldn't send him back to your house so you can get your package. No "His shift is over" is NOT an excuse.
Maybe I misunderstood though, maybe they are sending someone out with the package, if so, that's great! :)
But I can't blame you for being happy that you at least get the package, I've had a few bad UPS experiences myself.
/Mike
[Edited last by MickeS on November 09, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Me too... I despise UPS, I have more bad experiences with this company than any other that I deal with.
Today:
I am expecting single delivery of 24 DVDs. I've been here all day. Discover attempted delivery notice outside, tracking says attempt was at 2:26p PT. I was here at my desk at that moment, the phone did not ring. Delivery intructions noted the security code in the second address line on the label, just like every single delivery they make here, but he just stuck a note on call box outside the buidling.
I called customer service, went through a bunch of menus, and was disconnected. I called again, was on hold for CSR, and was disconnected. I called again and spoke to a CSR at 3.01p PT, who told me that the local 'service counter' would be calling me ASAP. As of 3:55p PT, no calls.
It's always a Fri too, with supposed next attempt on a Mon.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I like FedEx too, I shipped my bike all the way from NJ to Alaska and it arrived fine. I'm lucky cause there's a FedEx center about 2 miles from work so I can drop stuff off there without having to pay a middleman like Mailboxes, Etc. I also like Airborne Express, they have delivered my precious little tarantulas alive and without going ape over it. Their rules for "livestock" is more flexible than FedEx or UPS.
Jay :)
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Nah, FedEx can do it too. I tracked a package for me and saw the truck stop in front of my place. She sat there for a minute and then took off! This was also on a Friday. I called them up and screamed. They didn't even leave a note on my door.
She came back the next morning with her supervisor, and it wasn't pretty, but I got my package.
For what it's worth...
Glenn

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Resolution: After finally being contacted by the local UPS supervisor and being told that due to a communications problem they could not contact the truck/driver, they finally did and sent him back. I received the package this evening.
Yes, I too like FedEx, and Airborne even more. I am near two FedEx locations, and no real UPS locations. I love FedEx Ground, and use it for guitars and amps and large fragile things. I like Airborne because I always get a phone call from them saying the driving is arriving outside, which is cool. But when we ship motion picture film it's always FedEx or airline counter to counter.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I picked up the package at the local desk. I'm happy to just HAVE the damn thing today instead of Monday, which as it turns out the remote is defective anyway, so the whole thing was a waste.

MikeM

Screenwriter
How funny that this thread popped up. I had the exact same thing happen to me this week!
I was not hope for the first attempt on a delivery of a package. So the next day I workj from home, and I'm home all day waiting for the package to arrive. finall at about 3pm I call in just to be safe and an automated voice says that the delivery attempt was made and scanned in at 2pm! What bullshit!
I never leff the house, never went out for lunch, and there was no slip left at my door. It's obvious that the driver didn't even show up.
I called them up and said, "What's to stop your driver from scanning every package on his route and simply saying no one was home, and then go see a movie all day?" Their answer was, "Well, they wouldn't do that." (Yeah, right!). This happened last Monday when the Raiders were playing the Broncos here in Oakland. My guess is that the driver just wanted to bail early and watch the game...the most frustrating thing is that outside of a complaint, there's really nothing I can do. I got the runaround on the phone and no package that day.
Jeez, I hate UPS.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, I had Airborne Express attempt to deliver something to me on Friday... I wasn't home, so the driver left a slip saying he was there, and he'll be back on Monday.
Fine, but I wanted it as soon as possible, so I call Airborne and tell them I'm interested in picking it up at their office myself.
They ask for the Airbill number, I give it to them... it's not in the system. The driver has written down the wrong number on the slip! So I ask what I can do, they say that I have to talk to my local office and see if they can find the package for me so I can pick it up. That's OK, so I ask them to connect me to the local office. They can't do that! There is no direct line, they say, and no direct number. The only thing I could do was leave MY number, and they'd call me in the morning (today), right when they open, at 8 am.
OK, fine... 8 am comes, nobody calls. I call Airborne again, and talk to another guy, and explain what has happened. He says since I don't have the airbill number, I can't pick up my package. I say "But that's why I'm calling, if I had it I would just drive there myself" (it's all the way on the other side of town, so I don't want to go there if they can't give me my package). He says again "Well, since you don't have it, there's nothing you can do". Argh. I ask again for him to connect me to their office, he can't because there's no direct line. WTF?
So all I can do at this point is wait. Since I have a tee time, I couldn't wait, and had to go (at 8:20 nobody had called yet).
After golf, at 2 pm, I check messgaes, someone from Airborne called at 11:01 am, and gave me the correct airbill number (one number was wrong), and said I could come and pick it up, if I made it before noon which is when they closed. Naturally, I couldn't go, but even if I had been home, it would have taken me about 45 minutes or so to get there. Yeah, I would have made it but geez... they said they'd call at 8, and call 3 hours later.
SO now I'll just have to wait until Monday. If it had been mailed, it would have gotten ther monday too..
/Mike
------------------

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yup. Another thing about UPS is that I too wanted to pickup my package as well. What are their hours in my area? Mon - Fri from noon to six.
They open their customer counter at noon, and they're not open on weekends. Wow, great service. If they open at noon, then they should stay open until at least 8pm to allow working people some way of getting their packages. What a joke.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks