What's new

Yet another tell-me-what-to-buy thread (1 Viewer)

Glenn_B

Auditioning
When I bought my last TV, about 8 yrs ago, it was easy... there were straight-up CRTs, and there were hideously expensive rear-projection TVs that looked like crap. I bought a 27" Hitachi that works as well now as the day I brought it home.

Now I'm ready to go HD, and I've been trying to buy a new TV for the past several months but there are so many choices, and so many opinions. I'm really close now to going for it... right now I'm leaning towards a 52" Panasonic LCD rear projection. (Model PT52LCX65... can't post the URL.)

...but I have still have a couple of questions I'm hoping the videophiles on this forum will be able to answer.

1. Burn-in (yes, I scoured the Master Burn-In thread..) Is this an issue with LCD projection or not? I am a gamer, and although most of my gaming will be done in the basement on my aforementioned and soon-to-be demoted Hitachi CRT, I will definitely be spending the odd evening gaming on the new HD screen. (And the first thing I'm going to do upon unpacking the new screen will be to plug in the PS2 and play with my new toy :) ) Other than that, I'm not the type of person to leave the TV going when I'm not watching it... it'll generally be on for 2-4 hours a day.

2. Fast motion tracers... I know that older flat-panel LCD PC monitors has problems with response time that CRT monitors never did ... older ones were around 25ms, while newer 12ms to 6ms don't seem to be too bad at all. Is this an issue with LCD rear-projection TVs?

I was at Best Buy last night, all ready to slap down the cash on this Panasonic, and the saleswoman discouraged me from buying it, citing both burn-in and motion tracers as being a problem with LCD projection. Other sources (friends and threads on this forum) seem to dispute this. Anyway, she tried to sell me a DLP instead, but I found they had a strange distortion effect when viewed from an angle (is this the "rainbow effect" I keep hearing about?)... I ended up buying nothing.

So, any help you guys can give me would be great, even if it's just to push me over the edge and end my TV waffling.

Brent T

Second Unit
I recently purchased a 55" Sony Grand WEGA™ 3LCD Rear Projection HDTV KDF-E55A20 and couldnt be happier with it. I got it Best Buy for $2,699.99 (just dont let them blow smoke about the "3LCD" Technology). The advertised price was $2,848.00 *on sale* but I told the guy that I had seen it for $2,699.99 a few weeks ago. So he checked the PC and there it was !

I play a ton of xbox and my only suggestion is that if you plan on pausing a game for awhile just shut off the tv.

As for your other questions I will leave those to someone more knowledgeable then myself.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
1) no LCDs won't suffer burn in. They can suffer some temporary image retention in the cells that can be seen as a kind of ghost image, but this will dissipate quite quickly with moving content. I wouldn't even worry that much about static images on LCDs or DLPs.

2) depends on the speed of the panels used in the set. Obviously you'll want to see in person the display's you are thinking of purchasing, hopefully calibrated sets.

As noted burn in is not an issue on LCD. The person is a best buy employee. They may occassionaly say something factually correct, but you can be sure it was accidental.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Those Panasonics, have no slow tracer issues. they can't burn in from game use.

The stock lamp on the Panasonics seem to blow out quicker than they should, but the replacements seem to give full long life though.

I like the display. They have the cheaper x769 panels in them, not the more sought after x720 panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks