yet another subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by bobSe, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bobSe

bobSe Extra

I saw a couple threads, and seems most people recommend the svs pb10 (at $430), but that is somewhat out of my price range. My stereo setup right now is really lacking in the low bass, so I'd like to get a sub. This is just for music playing, no HT. I would like to stay in the 200-300$ range. I've heard friend's setups before, and a lot of them seemed to either sound like crap (rummble), or not loud enough, there was only a narrow range where the adjustment in the back of the sub, made it sound OK. I'd like to stay away from subs like that. So what can you guys/gals suggest, in my price range?

thanks

p.s. A friend of mine recommended Cambridge Soundworks:
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...&item=c1bc10se

is that any good?

2. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

If you are looking for a very musical sub look into velodyne they make some absolute killers when it comes to music.

Bill

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd look at the Onyx X-sub or maybe something like the Athena AS-P4000 or the Acoustech H-100 - all in the ~$200-250 range.

4. bobSe

bobSe Extra

well looks like it's between the Cambridge Soundworks at $279 with free shipping, and the Onyx X-sub at $244 with shipping. Any suggestions with which one to go?

thanks

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Based on specs alone, I'd actually probably opt for the X-sub, as it appears to have better specs than the 10S. Twice the power and better extension, plus a good reputiation for their other subs.

I've not heard the 10S from Cambridge, but their Newton subs are quite respectable.

6. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

I agree with bill. I have velodyne and got a dsp10 for 300 at circuit city. The thing was it is a floor model and I paid that much money when it is worth 400 dollars They do have new ones for about 300 dollars new but they are lower model numbers. They still sound good though. Good luck

7. bobSe

bobSe Extra

well i put my order in for an x-sub

I'll report back once I get it and set it up. Thanks for all the info and suggestions! [​IMG]

8. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Incorporate a (graphic equalizer) between the sub bass output and the sub, 1/3 octave is recommended for good results, and an (RTA) so that you can see the room nodes as the SPL db metre will not see this, and you’ll be stuck with peaks, EQ the peaks out and turn the volume level up on the sub, until you have achieved a flat response as possible at the sweet spot. From 20Hz to 120Hz or 20Hz to 80Hz!

120Hz is the cut off frequency for the LFE.1 Baby Boom channel, so getting done right so that the left centre and right blend without any irregular peaks at the crossover point, and surrounds as well.

The LFE.1 should be handled separately with EQ this includes the other channels as well, so multiple EQ is in order here, EQ for the directional loudspeakers placements, and EQ for the sub bass extension and the LFE.1.