What's new

Yet another Sub-Woofer question ... :-P (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I currently own a crappy D-Box David 250 from Costco (I can't afford an SVS atm). There are two knobs on the back of the sub, one for volume and one for X-Over. I am having no problems calibrating the volume on the sub but how the heck do I set the x-over to 80hz ? There is no label or anything on the X-over knob that states what hz the crossover is set to. I have my Denon 1803 set to crossover at 80hz and would like to match the setting with the sub. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about it Joe. Just turn the x-over all the way up. Your receiver will take care of the rest.:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Most excellent!!! Thanks so much :)

So I guess I can play with the settings on the reciever (80/100/120) and see what's best without ever touching the sub ? That's awesome. Thanks again. It makes total sense now. I don't why why that didn't dawn on me. LoL :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, if your AVR low pass filter is set to 80 Hz, then anything above that point (at a slope-off rate of probably 24 dB/octave) will not be sent to the subwoofer.

Some subs have a filter bypass switch if you are using the AVR for bass management (recommended). If you don't have a bypass switch, or an LFE (unfiltered) input jack, then you need to set the sub filter way up high where there is nothing for it to filter (in essence bypassing it).

If you set it to 80 Hz (for example) it would "double filter" (sometimes called filter cascading) the signal, and this would cause a depression (of maybe a few dB) in the frequency response at that point.

Your bass management settings should be all speakers to small, and subwoofer to on/yes. If you have smaller speakers, try 100 Hz as the xo. If they are larger and more bass-capable, try 80 Hz. If you try 120 Hz, you might find the sub is too easily localized (starts to play male voices, etc.).

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
All the sub has is 2 speaker wire inputs and 2 L/R RCA inputs. Right now I have a 2-way splitter through the RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks