Yet another sub opinion question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Bohlke, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Todd Bohlke

Todd Bohlke Agent

I've been planning a HT system for a while (and will continue for a while as I save up funds). Right now, here is my (planned) system:
    Receiver: Denon 2802
    Fronts: Paradigm Phantoms or Monitor 3s (any opinions?)
    Center: Paradigm CC170
    Surrounds: Paradigm ADP170
    For a sub, I have ~$400 to spend. I've heard the Velodyne CHT12 which I think sounds pretty good and had decided on that one until I heard such positive reviews about online vendors (SVS, Hsu, Adire Audio). Unfortunately, the cheapest SVS powered sub seems to be the 25-31 PCi for $550 which is a little out of my range. The Hsu VTF-2 and Rava look like my best bets for online vendors. Are these models significantly better than the Velodyne to buy them without hearing them? I will be using the setup 60/40 for HT/music so does one or the other any better? Is the SVS %30 better to justify %30 more money? My wife likes the looks of the SVS better so who knows if I can squeak that into the setup [​IMG]

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Compared to a CHT12 I would definately say the SVS is worth the extra cash. And if you can't build your own they are one of if not the best options for the money.
    For some other options, if you have some tools, here is what you can build with $300USD (that includes, driver, amp, grille, flared port, binding posts and all construction and finishing materials):
    [​IMG]
    I'd put it up against a SVS 20-39PCi any day.
    If you can't do all the cutting, another option would be Acoustic Visions. They sell kits, with all the parts, including the enclosure in a flat form that you can then assemble and finish.
    Acoustic Visions will also (for more money of course, but still incredibly reasonable) costum build you a sub. Kyle (great guy) will spend hours on the phone, if need be, with you helping you decide what would best fit your budget and performance goals.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If you stay with the current $400(ish) budget, I think the 15" Velodyne ct150 is still in the 450 range at onecall too. That is a very good

5. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I was going to start a new thread but will post it in here. How does an SVS compare to a DIY Tempest?

For $500 I can make a nice maple adire alignment or EBS enclosure for a tempest. But for $50 more I can get the small SVS PCI.

Has anyone done any comparisons or heard them both?

6. Tom Vodhanel

If you have the skill/time/tools to DIY...that is definitely the way to go. No sense paying us to do the work you can be doing in a spare weekend or two [​IMG]
    TV

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Chris, what's up, you won't believe my ramblings :p)

I'm sure Tom would aggree that a well built EBS or Adire allignment Tempest vs a SVS 25-31PCi is not a fair fight. The Tempest just has too much of a displacement advantage.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Yes, I think so...if the entire enclosure design optimizes the full potential of the 15" driver...you'll get more output for sure.

TV

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Now and Ultra vs Tempest. That's a fair fight. And it would show just how impressive the Ultra driver is. As the Ultra is still a 12" driver and it can keep pace with a very nice 15" driver.