What's new

Yet another request for speaker reccomendations (1 Viewer)

noahG

Agent
I'm guessing some of the forum users are getting tired of these request but I'd appreciate whatever anyone is willing to offer. I currently have an NAD t760 receiver powering my old Spica SC-30. For my center and surrounds I bought the dirt cheap sony set ($80) just to get a feel for the surround sound but I knew they would be replaced eventually. Well eventually is fast approaching. Given a budget of somwhere around $1000 (+/- $200) what should I be looking at?

I've been told I need a subwoofer, but I live in an apartment and don't often get a chance to really turn up the juice so I don't really need anything too powerful on that front.

Also, what should I do with my Spicas? Should I leave them where they are up front, or look to move them to the back or even just put them in another room and get a full matched set of something?

any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

Noah

Mack_T

Auditioning
Let your ears be the guide. I had the same price point in mind when I went last weekend to audition speakers. I am going tonight to pick up the Mirage AVS-500 set with the matching Sub. Tweeters has the set for $600.00 w/sub.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
How about 2 pair of JBL Series I S26 from jandr.com ($160 a pair with free shipping; essentially identical to the Series II which they want $320 for). An SVS 25-31PCi ($499, although the 20-39 is only $50 more so do consider it). Then the tricky part will be finding a JBL Series I S-Center for less than $200. Although the Series II is essentially identical (drivers are a different color and the tweeter has had some extra protection added), so you can use it. But jandr.com want $250 for it.

The reason the Series I are so cheap right now is the Series II was just introduced and people are clearing out the old Seires I stock. Excellent deals to be had.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Noah,
It sounds to me like a complete 5.1 system from ascend acoustics would be perfect!
The systems are available with and w/o Hsu Research subwoofers all at very reasonable prices. The Hsu VTF-2 is what I would recommend, very musical and subtle, perfect for an apartment.
I know a few people who own these systems and they really sound great, they have been very well reviewed as well. I will be making my purchase from them in a month or two as well.
check them out at http://www.ascendacoustics.com

noahG

Agent
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try to do some auditioning this weekend. I do really love my old spicas, so the more I think about it the more I want to keep them as part of this system.

Mack, I am interested in the Mirage speakers, if only because 12 years ago when I bought the spicas, Mirage was the runner up. I can't remember who finished third, but I know it was really close between the spicas and the Mirages.

by the way, does anyone out there still own a pair of spicas. It was a shame to see them disappear, but I understand that the guy who designed all their speakers wasn't interested in Multi-channel audio in the least.

Anyone else with suggestions, keep them coming. I really do find these helpful.

noahG

Agent
OK, I think I've decided what I'm going to do. If anyone strongly disagrees please let me know.

Last weekend I auditioned a couple of different brands and I decided I really liked the new NHT SB-3 bookshelf speakers matched with the sc-1 center channel. I think I'm going to get two of the bookshelfs and the center and move the Spicas to the back until I have the money to get NHT's back there.

But here is my latest quandry. The place where I auditioned them was incredibly helpful, and even when I said I wasn't going to buy that day, they still wanted to help me. After leaving their, I went to another shop just up the street to look around. The guy I talked to in the second shop couldn't have cared less about helping me but he did offer to sell me the NHT's for $30 less per speaker, saving me a total of $90. Here in LA that's like not paying sales tax which is pretty good.

So should I buy from the first shop and suck it up, try to talk them down, or just go with the second shop with the Jerk for a sales guy?

as always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Noah

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Noah:
There is a buyer's guide to 5.1 speaker systems in the $500 to $1000 USD range at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
There you will find specs on about a dozen systems from various manufacturers as well as links to the manufacturers' web pages for each system.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
NHTs are a pretty good choice. I also liked the SB3's (but as surrounds). They were my early front runners until I got turned off by our local dealer.

If the first shop has good service (trade in policies, loaners, etc.) then it's probably worth the extra premium over the jerk dealer. I'd try to get them to price match or even meet halfway at $15 off. Most times, service with a bit of a price premium wins out for me.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks