1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another reason to hate those DAMN security labels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

So I get home today after picking up The Mummy Returns from Best Buy.
    I removed the cellophane wrapper and wrestle with the (3) security strips.
    As I’m tossing them in the can, I see something white on the back of the one strip.
    I look at the cover and OH SHIT look what happened.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=611525&a=4463039&p=54891020&Sequence=0&res=high [​IMG] [​IMG] !!!!!
    Shawn S
    [Edited last by Shawn Sefranek on October 06, 2001 at 12:18 AM]

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

This happened to me once, but luckily I was able to fix it with a black marker. Ever since then, I always make sure that the cover is well-centered in the case before buying a particular DVD.
    If the store you bought the DVD at doesn't exchange it for you, then just visit a local video rental store and ask them if they mind swapping covers with you.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

3. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

And don't get me started on how hard they make it to steal DVDs from stores!

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The same thing happened to me with my Criterion Spartacus. I probably could have returned it but I'd ordered it from Amazon and didn't feel like going through the hassle...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Please post back and let us know if they exchanged it or not. I suspect they might not, since technically it was "damaged by the customer". But there's enough of a circumstancial situation that they could allow it. I'd like to know for sure. Because this has happened to me a couple of times. Never so bad as yours, and I was always able to fix with a black marker or a slight trim with a pair of scissors...it would be hard to spot one of these in my collection.
    But if one that bad ever happened to me, I'd like to know what my options are. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

7. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

They have to take it back. The packaging is considered part of the product at the point of sale. As a retailer of DVD's, I do this all the time. I've already had to deal with taking back several Mummy Returns due to the damn spindles in the cheap cases under the same concept. As long as it's an exchange for the same title, there should be no hassle because of the above.
    Good luck!
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Best Buy will take them back. I have had this happen 2 times when slowly removing the sticker from snapper cases. It's considered a product defect, and they will let you exchange it. You just have to open the new copy in front of them before you leave the store.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

10. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Steve:

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're returning the entire DVD just because of a small cover tear?
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I've never had that happen. I would get Universal to replace it. I hate when they use those stickers on snapper cases directly on the artwork.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

13. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

If anyone is still following this thread, I got the DVD traded today with a minimal amount of arguing with the Best Buy returns dept.
    I picked up a new copy of Mummy 2 and Godfather Box set and was happily on my way.
    Shawn S

14. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

The same thing happened today when I picked up my Snow White DVD, the paper was above the plastic cover and the security sticker tore some of the silver off. Thankfully I found this just outside the mall, so we went back in and replaced it, no problems.
    Chris.