What's new

Yet another Paradigm dilemma (1 Viewer)

Michel-D

Auditioning
I am looking closely at the Paradigm line of speakers. Based on opinions on this forum, I am very interested in getting the Studio 20 for front L/R. But that would mean stretching my allocated budget for speakers so there will be less money left for surrounds, center or sub. The Paradigm Reference line for center, surround or sub would become out of reach.

And finally the question:

Since 2 channel music is my top priority (60 % music, 40 % movies), can I choose surrounds, center and sub from a lesser Paradigm line (say Monitor or even Performance). Would that still be a good match? Or should I just get a good sub along with my Studios 20 and wait to get surrounds and center speakers that belongs to the Reference line (like the ADP-470 and CC-470).

Some constraints I have to deal with:
- I can't try out those speakers where I live
- I am pretty much set on Paradigm

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Definitely don't get a lesser center. Either wait until you can get the matching one from the studio line or go phantom. I think for surrounds you can go with something lesser, but I'm typically one who doesn't believe in spending lots of money on surrounds. If you're more into 2-channel music, put your money into your front stage, and then just get whatever you can afford for the rear.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Michel,

Since you say 2 channel music is your priority, I'd like to make an alternative suggestion; get the best pair of music speakers that you can afford and wait until later to get the surrounds and center. In fact, I would recommend getting a good, musical subwoofer before getting the center or surrounds. There's nothing wrong with a 2.0 or 2.1 system, particularly if your priority is 2 channel music.

If you're really set on Paradigm, look higher up, at least to Studio 100's or even better, at the Signature line. I would rather have 1 pair of S8s or even Studio 100s than a pair of Studio 20's and ADP-470s, plus a CC-470 and subwoofer.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Yep, but I was talking about what I would prefer, not necessarily what I could afford. ;)

FWIW I believe the S4s run about $2400/pr and Studio 100s around $2200/pr. The set-up Michel was describing in his OP, assuming a PW-2200 sub, would probably be around $3200. That assumes new, used would of course be less expensive.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Audiogon.com is your friend. Lots of reasonable prices on used Paradigm studio series.

-Dave

JasonTan

Grip
Quick question, in canadian funds, what does a pair of studio 60's run for? That's what i was kind of gunning for. If the 100's are only marginally more expensive i might get those instead. I still need to hop into my local shop though and i'm moving currently so it might be a while until i can get out there.

Michel-D

Auditioning
The prices I got for the Studio line (in Canadian funds)

Studio 20: ~1000 $
Studio 40: ~1400 $
Studio 60: ~1900 $
Studio 100: ~2800 $

The price difference between the 60 and the 100 model makes me wonder if there ever was a Studio 80...

Michel-D

Auditioning

So you mean that distributing the center channel sound to the L/R speakers would be better than to have a lesser center (CC170, CC270 or CC370) ?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Michel,

I would agree that if your main interest is 2ch then get the best of the Studio line for L/R you can afford right now (and take 10-15% off those MSRP prices you were quoted if you have a good dealer).

Using Bass Management to re-route the info from no centre channel to the front L/R is not too bad of a tradeoff if you can wait until later to match a Centre to your 'better' L/R speakers. Most people would agree that it is much better to match your front speakers to maintain a good sound stage.

You can certainly step down the Paradigm line for the Surrounds should you wish to do that, especially since you are a 2ch fan.

So - get the best L/R you can afford now.
Follow up with:
Sub, then surrounds from Monitor line, then Centre 470/570 (if you got anything above the Studio 20's for L/R then I have to recommend the 570).

I am running 40's/CC570/ADP and Servo-15 and basically purchased L/R, then Sub, then Centre, then Surrounds in that order. I upgraded so already had speakers I could use for Surrounds. I didn't use my old Centre with the 40's as it sounded better without it.

FYI there used to be a Studio 80v1 but it was not a big enough seller to continue through the v3 lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks