What's new

Yet another of those help a noob buy speakers threads... (1 Viewer)

Ryan R F

Auditioning
Right now my spekaer setup consists of 2 12" floor standing cerwin vega speakers for the mains, an 8" kenwood sub and 2 kenwood front speakers from a htib for the surrounds and sub. This system gets loud but doesn't sound that good doing it. It is very boomy and not very real sounding. My friend has an oknyo setup and it blows mine away. I would like to upgrade all the speakers eventually and want the best I can get for the money. I'd like to spend about $1500 on all of them MAX. What brands should I be looking at that sound great for that amount of money and which speakers should I upgrade first? Thanks.

Ryan

george king

Supporting Actor
contact Brian Bunge at Link Removed and see what he can do for you. He has several new designs that might fit your bill. He is a great guy and the workmanship is amazing.

Ryan R F

Auditioning
Thx for the suggestion and i'll look into it but I was wanting to buy the speakers piece by piece because I can't convince my wife to let me spend $1500 on speakers all at once. ;)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
Fluance SX-HTB....a little over 300$ for 5.1 setup/5 speakers + Dayton's new 10" sub=125$....WAY below your budget, which will make your wife happy I imagine, & the sound IMHO is fantastic for the price

Ryan R F

Auditioning
I should have mentioned the fact that i'm looking for smaller speakers not big tower speakers. I am going to contact Brian but am skeptical of buying speakers that I can't listen to first. We'll see. :D

george king

Supporting Actor
Ryan,

Hey, I can understand your hesitation. I bought from Brian sight unseen, without hearing the speakers, based solely on their reputation on the net. I asked Brian lots of questions over a couple of weeks, and he patiently answered everything. I have not been disappointed at all. Besides, you have nothing to lose by calling.

The deal went off without a hitch, and everything was in perfect condition.

Here is a link to his Audio Circle Forum. You can look at his work and see what people are saying.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=18

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I would upgrade:

1.Center (most important HT speaker)
2.R/L mains (move the mains to surround duty if it makes sense)
3.Subwoofer
4.surrounds

If your prime use is music I would replace the R/L mains and then the center, as the R/L speakers are the most important.

Check out the Internet companies like Ascend and AV123. They have very good products at attractive prices. They might (or might not) work out a package deal over time—one speaker at a time.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
You should take a hard look at the Wharfedale Diamond series. Considering you want bookshelfs for mains, you can get into a complete Diamond system for $700-800 or so....then you are free to spend the rest on a new receiver for your system.

Head over to audioreview.com and see for yourself how consumers like yourself rate the Diamonds. I have heard the Diamonds several times. The Diamonds are amazingly good speakers. When you factor in price, they are an amazing value as well. I love these speakers...they do everything so well for so little $$.

Find a Wharfedale dealer near you and give them a serious listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks