What's new

Yet another noob question - HTIB sub-$500 or component max $750? (1 Viewer)

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I've been thinking of installing a hometheater system (my first) and before slapping down the $$$ I thought I would seek some advice. The information I have already gathered from this forum has been of tremendous help...thanks for steering me clear of bose :)
Currently I am looking at either getting a Kenwood HTB-504/5 for around $450 or building a component system for no more than $750. I have a PS2 that I'm using for a DVD player now and a 27" RCA TV...it only has the standard 3 RCA video/audio inputs, located on the front no less :frowning: I realize that $750 isn't much to work with but I've already invested heavily into building my dream PC. I figured that if I was going to get a HTIB that I might as well go with a solid, lower-priced model, like the Kenwood, so that I can afford to upgrade in a few years. Is $750 too low a budget to build a decent HT? Keep in mind that I'm living in an apartment and don't need a tremendous amount of power.
Also, the cabling issue has confused me a bit. I've read that the speaker cables that come with the Kenwood are flismy and that it would be worth it to buy some new ones...any recommendations? And is it possible to use a PS2 for my DVD player using a receiver (what cable would I use to connect the two)? Are standard, out-of-box RCA cables good enough to connect from the receiver to the TV or should I invest in something else?
Anyway, forgive my ignorance and potential misuse of terminology, I haven't done this before...but this forum has giving me a lot of excitement to do so. Hopefully I have explained it well enough. Please let me know if I forgot anything. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Steve Owen

Second Unit
If the PS2 is working well for you as a DVD player, then you need a receiver and speakers to get you going.

For speakers, I'd take a look at Energy 5.2. You should be able to get 5 speakers (sans sub) for about $425. I'd hold off on the sub for now if that'll break your budget... get it later and instead concentrate on getting reall good speakers. Also check out the Paradigm Cinema series speakers. Again, sans sub it's about $420 or so for 5 speakers (4 satellites + center)

That leaves about $350 for a receiver. You can probably find a Denon AVR-1602 for about that much.

With that combination, you'll have a very good sounding system that has room for growth.

As far as speaker cables go, the wire that Home Depot and the like sells is quite decent and pretty cheap.

-Steve

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to secure a Denon AVR-1602 for $290 (including shipping) through eBay. And the Take 5.2 speaker set is available for $429 ($460 w/shipping). Oddly enough this puts my total cost at exactly $750, my alloted amount.
However, for the speaker cabling I was wondering what's the best option. Another post suggested that I buy the cable from Home Depot. This sounds like a reasonable idea, but would I need to terminate the ends or is that not necessary (forgive my ignorance)? What gauge is best (i will not be running it through the wall)?
Also, what cables would be best to hook from my receiver to my TV (I only have 3 RCA audio/video inputs on my 27" RCA TV...no S-Video :frowning: )?
Any more recommendations are welcome. Thanks again to everyone in this forum.
John Jones

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
John Garcia,

Thanks for your response as well. I did some research before posting but overlooked that thread.

Thanks again,

John

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
the dennon and the energy's are fine choices, i would suggest the pioneer vsx-d811s(300.00 from the net),and the jbl nsp1 speaker system (250.00 from the net).
total 550.00 bucks.you save 200.00 .

the ps2 can be hooked up with the audio/video kit from sony,so you hear it through your receiver.
i would use at least 14 gage ,i prefer bare wire connections,although some people swear by spade lugs or banana connectors.
i would run the video output straight to the t.v..it looks like your only option is to use the rca cable(video in).

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you David for your response. When you say that I should run the video straight to the TV, do you mean from the ps2 to the TV, bypassing the receiver? Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

John

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
John

yes by pass the rec. with the video ,send the audio to the rec.since you have to use the RCA connection ,the fewer connections the better, this way you get the best possible picture.
One other thing ,if you check out the syst, i suggested ,you can also afford a subwoofer,i suggest the Sony SA-WM40,this can be had for about 130.oo bucks online. you would still be under your budget.you can also find a JBL sub from their auction sight on e-bay,in other words straight from the factory for about 150.00 to 200.00.
HAPPY HUNTING.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks