What's new

Yet another newb (1 Viewer)

Amro

Auditioning
Greetings all,

I too, have begun my descent into the realms of home theatre madness. It all started when Fry's had a sale on 60" Philips HD ready rptv's for $1500. I thought that would be the end of it (gawd what a fool I was). Well, naturally I had to get a progressive scan DVD player, so I got a Panasonic CP-72. So, with a good picture comes good sound. I have a 15 year old Yamaha RX-500U receiver with Bose 301's. These, I think, are the original 301's, because I got them in the late 70's. After some careful research and a natural bias towards Yamahas, I decided on the RX-V1300. This entire process was fairly simple. And since it had been about 25 years since I bought speakers, I had no idead this last step would be the most difficult.

So, lets talk speakers. I originally thought I would get all "6.1's" at once for a budget of about $1200. I quickly realized that this was not enough, and I did not need to get it all at once. First, I want to get the fronts (center/surround). Since the Yamaha is a 6.1, I may consider getting the rear center as well. I've noticed several DVD's such as AP Goldmember support 6.1. I will temporarily put the 301's in the rear for the rear surround. After reading through this forum, I think I will get the SVS 25-31PCi's for the sub.

I live in the DFW area, and have visited several stores. I know everyone says listen, listen, listen, and I did that. It's just that a pair of Infinity's that did not sound good a Ulitmate Electronics sounded good at Circuit City. The "smaller" stores all seem to be biased to one or two manufacturers.

Based on what I've heard, I liked the sound of the Klipsch RF-35 series. I heard them at Ultimate Electronics in conjunction witht the RX-V1300. From what I've gathered, the front 3 looks like they will cost about 1200-1400. If I get the rear center, that's another 300-400. With the SVS costing near $600, I'm already at $2200. Naturally, I'll have to piecemeal this out. I picked the RF-35's vs RF-3 II's simply because if I piece it out, I may have a better chance of getting the newer 35's matching speakers later on.

So, since I'm up in the $2200-$3000 range, I was wanting to know of some other makes I should try and listen to. I haven't noticed much talk about Klipsch on this forum. Any reason for this? Are they becomming too commercial?

I hope I haven't been overly detailed. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

As my old equipment shows, I don't like to buy new stuff every few years. I plan on keeping this as long as possible (technological advancement be damned).

Thanks,
Amro

BTW, I'll be in Paris next week for vacation. Any European line you suggest I listen to while I'm there?

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since you will be in France, try to find some Triangle's.

My buddy's boss invited him and I over for drinks two Saturday evening's ago. Little did I know this guy was into music and home theatre. We got on the music subject, talked a little shop and then he proudly showed me his new system......Triangle. I got to listen to them for about 10 minutes. WOW!

http://www.triangle-fr.com/welcome-2002.htm

TerryHenson

Agent
It sounds like you're doing fine.

Yamaha makes very musical receivers. I own one. :)

SVS makes very good subwoofers. I own one. :)

Klipsch makes good speakers. I used to own some.

However, Yamaha and Klipsch does not make the best marriage to my ears. Klipsch uses horn tweeters than can get a little harsh with Yamaha's brighter sound. I love the brightness of Yamaha, just not when matched with the brightness of Klipsch. The PSB Image line would be a good match or even some Polks LS. Be sure to test drive many selections and take your time. Speaker choices are the toughest to make. :)

Amro

Auditioning
Thanks for the feedback.

Mike_Gr: I'll try to check them out, although I'm not sure if the French speakers would be willing to play any war movies ;-)

Terry: I think I remember reading that comment elsewhere. I really have no brand loyalty as far as speakers go, so I will continue to search. Although, when I get back from Paris, I'll be ordering the SVS's

Thanks again for the feedback :)

Amro

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks