Yet another newb

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Amro, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Amro

Amro Auditioning

Greetings all,

I too, have begun my descent into the realms of home theatre madness. It all started when Fry's had a sale on 60" Philips HD ready rptv's for $1500. I thought that would be the end of it (gawd what a fool I was). Well, naturally I had to get a progressive scan DVD player, so I got a Panasonic CP-72. So, with a good picture comes good sound. I have a 15 year old Yamaha RX-500U receiver with Bose 301's. These, I think, are the original 301's, because I got them in the late 70's. After some careful research and a natural bias towards Yamahas, I decided on the RX-V1300. This entire process was fairly simple. And since it had been about 25 years since I bought speakers, I had no idead this last step would be the most difficult.

So, lets talk speakers. I originally thought I would get all "6.1's" at once for a budget of about $1200. I quickly realized that this was not enough, and I did not need to get it all at once. First, I want to get the fronts (center/surround). Since the Yamaha is a 6.1, I may consider getting the rear center as well. I've noticed several DVD's such as AP Goldmember support 6.1. I will temporarily put the 301's in the rear for the rear surround. After reading through this forum, I think I will get the SVS 25-31PCi's for the sub.

I live in the DFW area, and have visited several stores. I know everyone says listen, listen, listen, and I did that. It's just that a pair of Infinity's that did not sound good a Ulitmate Electronics sounded good at Circuit City. The "smaller" stores all seem to be biased to one or two manufacturers.

Based on what I've heard, I liked the sound of the Klipsch RF-35 series. I heard them at Ultimate Electronics in conjunction witht the RX-V1300. From what I've gathered, the front 3 looks like they will cost about 1200-1400. If I get the rear center, that's another 300-400. With the SVS costing near $600, I'm already at $2200. Naturally, I'll have to piecemeal this out. I picked the RF-35's vs RF-3 II's simply because if I piece it out, I may have a better chance of getting the newer 35's matching speakers later on.

So, since I'm up in the $2200-$3000 range, I was wanting to know of some other makes I should try and listen to. I haven't noticed much talk about Klipsch on this forum. Any reason for this? Are they becomming too commercial?

I hope I haven't been overly detailed. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

As my old equipment shows, I don't like to buy new stuff every few years. I plan on keeping this as long as possible (technological advancement be damned).

Thanks,
    Amro

BTW, I'll be in Paris next week for vacation. Any European line you suggest I listen to while I'm there?

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Well, since you will be in France, try to find some Triangle's.

My buddy's boss invited him and I over for drinks two Saturday evening's ago. Little did I know this guy was into music and home theatre. We got on the music subject, talked a little shop and then he proudly showed me his new system......Triangle. I got to listen to them for about 10 minutes. WOW!

http://www.triangle-fr.com/welcome-2002.htm

3. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

It sounds like you're doing fine.

Yamaha makes very musical receivers. I own one. [​IMG]

SVS makes very good subwoofers. I own one. [​IMG]

Klipsch makes good speakers. I used to own some.

However, Yamaha and Klipsch does not make the best marriage to my ears. Klipsch uses horn tweeters than can get a little harsh with Yamaha's brighter sound. I love the brightness of Yamaha, just not when matched with the brightness of Klipsch. The PSB Image line would be a good match or even some Polks LS. Be sure to test drive many selections and take your time. Speaker choices are the toughest to make. [​IMG]

4. Amro

Amro Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike_Gr: I'll try to check them out, although I'm not sure if the French speakers would be willing to play any war movies ;-)

Terry: I think I remember reading that comment elsewhere. I really have no brand loyalty as far as speakers go, so I will continue to search. Although, when I get back from Paris, I'll be ordering the SVS's

Thanks again for the feedback [​IMG]

Amro