What's new

Yet another neophyte asking for help...denon+def tech+ no subwoofer (1 Viewer)

statmatt

Auditioning
Real Name
James Henson
Greetings,

Hoping the expertise of the community will help me make sure my set up is correct. Thanks in advance!

Setup:
Definitive technology: 7004 supertowers front, clr 2300 center, and 4 bp1.2x bipolar surrounds.

BUT no sub woofer.

Denon 3808 amp.

Room size: 15 X 25

Now one of the reasons i got the fronts and the center was because they have self-amplified subs built in, which i wanted to make up for not having a dedicated sub.

Question 1: am i correct in understanding that by setting up my system through the denon with no sub that the front and centers (large) will still play bass sounds, but any bass that would come through the surrounds would just be lost? That the fronts / center would not play bass sounds from the surrounds. (i do realize that with most movies that would rarely happen but...)

Question 2: The 7004 super towers have a LFE input in addition to the standard speaker connection . Am i then able to also connect them as if they were subs through the denon? Does that mean they would then play bass sounds for surrounds?

Question 3: if I can connect the super towers as subs, is it not straightforward? in other words, i have two LFE inputs (one for each front) but only one LFE output on the denon. Can i just get a splitter to run to both fronts, or will that cause problems?

Thanks again!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Question 1: am i correct in understanding that by setting up my system through the denon with no sub that the front and centers (large) will still play bass sounds, but any bass that would come through the surrounds would just be lost? That the fronts / center would not play bass sounds from the surrounds. (i do realize that with most movies that would rarely happen but...)

If you set the sub to “No Sub”, and the Fronts to “Large”, and the surrounds to “Small” – the lower information should go to the fonts and not be lost – but you might want to check the manual on that one.

Question 2: The 7004 super towers have a LFE input in addition to the standard speaker connection . Am i then able to also connect them as if they were subs through the denon? Does that mean they would then play bass sounds for surrounds?

You can use the LFE input on your speakers and set the sub to “Yes” on your receiver – the lower information from the “small” setting speakers will be set to the LFE input as you suggest.

Question 3: if I can connect the super towers as subs, is it not straightforward? in other words, i have two LFE inputs (one for each front) but only one LFE output on the denon. Can i just get a splitter to run to both fronts, or will that cause problems?

You can get a splitter to run both fronts and not cause any problems – a simple splitter would work – something like this:

2 RCA F to 1 RCA M Adapter - W51201

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As Martino said, use a splitter to run the LFE out from the receiver to both LFE ins on the mains. Also be sure to set the L/C/R speaker setup to "Small" since you now essentially have subs for the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAR
Recent bookmarks