Yet another "name this movie" plea

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Stutzman, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Mike Stutzman

Mike Stutzman Auditioning

This one's going to be tough, because I won't necessarily be able to say "Yes! That's it!" when the right answer comes around. It's been too long.

It's an older, perhaps spy-ish movie, in which the main character wears a mask due to some accident or something. Throughout the whole movie we're flashing back and forth waiting to see if the guy really had survived in the past, and therefore is who he says he is in the present, or if he died in the past, and is an impostor double-agent type in the present.

Anyone?

2. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

Judging from all the hits w/o a single response, it looks as though you're going to have to try to be a bit more specific. Decade? B&W or color? Can't you place a single face from it? How about the city/setting?

C'mon, throw us a bone, here!

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

We need more details.

~T

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Mike Stutzman wrote:

5. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

6. Mike Stutzman

Thank you so much for trying. I don't think we've hit it yet.

More details? . . . Wow it's been a long time.

I'm not sure I can even place a decade, could be anything from the '50s to the '70s.

The key here is the parallel storytelling, flashing back and forth between past story line, and the present story line. The past story line is either the attempt to save his life, or the attempt to install the imposter, I'm not sure which, and the present is the "is he or isn't he" part that's (I think) finally answered when you see the last part of the flashback sequence. Cofused yet?

I seem to remember not just an injury, but a nasty (perhaps metal) mask conceiling the man's identity.

Perhaps the present story line had the guy wanting to retire from the spy business, and the powers that bee don't know if they can let him. I seem to remember the masked guy on a farm tractor or something.

I told you it wouldn't be easy . . . I didn't know what to search for in IMDB.

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

As I read your synopsis, I thought of the 1991 Wolfgang Petersen flick Shattered, though that's clearly not it.
    The 'mask' angle sounds vaguely familiar to me. If I can come up with any good guesses, I'll stop back.
    Sorry!

8. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

I believe that you're referring to the little-seen 1973 film Who?, starring Elliott Gould and Joseph Bova as the man in the mask.
    It's available on VHS as "Robo Man"

9. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Bill McA wrote:

10. Mike Stutzman

That really sounds like a winner. (You'd think I'd have remembered Gould . . . oh well.) I'm going to have to track down a copy just to see. Even if it's not on DVD, it's been bugging me too much to let it go.

Thank you SO MUCH! This has bugged me for YEARS!