Yet another JBL PB12 problem (noise when going into/out of standby)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris Rock, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've had the JBL PB12 for about 18 months, and have had to get the amp replaced (under warranty, no problem) at 12 months because of the horrible "rumbling sound" problem.

About 4 months after the repair, the sub seems to go in and out of standby VERY frequenly when the receiver is at low volumes. I've tried everything...changing power outlets, adjusting settings on the sub, everything I could think of.

I know I'll probably have to take it in for repairs again and HOPE that either JBL or the repair place will fix it under some kind of warranty, but I was hoping against hope that someone on this board has run into the same problem and has an idea.

The way the sub is suppose to work is that when it doesn't get an LFE signal for a while, it goes into standby. My trouble is, that at low volume levels (or in a sountrack with limited LFE use), the sub instantly goes into standby (the lights on the front turn red) and then goes back into "On" mode repeatedly. And when it does this, it makes kind of a popping noise, just loud enough to be annoying.

I wish there was a way to disable the auto standby...or at least change the sensitivity.

If anyone knows anything about my problem, I'll be happy to hear about it.

The good news is, back when my sub first took a dump in January, (right before the Super Bowl), I went and got an 8" Yamaha sub for the meantime while mine was getting fixed. Now, I'm currently using both, but I turn the JBL off when the problem gets really bad.

Oh, well...next time I won't skimp on my sub...time for an SVS!

2. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

First you ask for help, then you say that you're getting an SVS. What is it that you want?

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Have you tried turning the sub amp's gain knob down and calibrating using the sub out on your receiver? This usually fixes the problem most people have with a sub going in and out of standby mode.

4. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

That's why you're having the problem. The sub out on the receiver is so low that at low listening levels the sub rarely receives a strong enough signal to keep it from turning off and on.

Start with your sub's gain set about 1/4 of the way up and start out with your sub out on the receiver set to zero. Adjust the sub out up or down in order to calibrate and leave the sub amp's gain alone unless you have to adjust it up slightly to keep from running the sub out of the receiver too high.

6. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

I've had my pb12 for about a year, never had a problem. It's been flawless, still crossing my fingers. Sorry to hear about those who haven't been so lucky.