What's new

Yet another hysterical jab from Ebert about letterboxing (1 Viewer)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Two :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: WAY UP ! ,right on Ebert !
Now it's about time "we" start complaining about the black bars on the sides of our Ws Tv's !
That'll have them spinning !
bodymov'n :cool: :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Well, let's cut Target some slack. THere HAVE been some titles (The Mummy Returns, JP III) which Target carries in BOTH versions. Sometimes I have turned towards Target when Costco (the lowest prices for new releases) ONLY carries P&S, which they will always do, given the choice. But then Costco is the store that demonstrates DVD players using RCA composite cables and usually has the anamorphic choice turned off, giving a stretched image on their TVs.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Wouldn't it be cool if we could get Roger Ebert to be a regular contirbutor to this Forum, a la Martin Blythe from Paramount????

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Ebert turned me on to widescreen way back when nobody was transferring films to video in anything other than 4:3. I'm really pleased with every one of his crusades regarding film - from the "A" Rating to Widescreen to discouraging Political Correctness in film making.

His commentaries are excellent to listen to, and his reviews are generally insightful. I really enjoy reading his review of a film after I've seen it and see where we line up. (I will never read a film review before seeing a film).

I love particularly that he writes his reviews with the intention of the movie in mind. He reviews Star Wars and Star Trek films as if they are just that - and not Schindler's List. Film reviewers who show disdain for films because they have disdain for the genre are weak in my opinion.

For what did Ebert win the Pulitzer Prize?

I've said for a while now that I don't think Roger Ebert should be referred to as a film critic - since this tends to have a negative ring to it. I think a more descriptive and effective title would be film historian or film advocate.

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator
That's great! I actually received the following response from that email:

Refuse to patronize non-LBX stores! Go to your local indie video store, or rent on the Web (sometimes cheaper!).

Best,

RE
Pretty short and to the point. I didn't check on the web site to see if he had posted my email.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Karl...nice to hear Ebert respond. Glad you wrote the letter.
Ebert won the Pulitzer Prize in film criticism in 1975. ;)John Berggren - although I agree with you on the semantics. Yeah, he's been around for a while.
I recall getting excited as a 10 year old waiting for the Siskel & Ebert show. My folks were pretty conservative and did not let me watch most movies at the theater. The S&E show was a chance to get a glimpse and build a roster of movies that I could watch when I got old enough.
The 3 Target around me that I visit do not carry the OAR version of a dual format release, e.g., Willy Wonka. Additionally, they only carry the rated versions of movies. Nor do they carry a great deal of older titles, even those rereleases like Tombstone. But they've got great first week, new release loss leaders.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Now it's about time "we" start complaining about the black bars on the sides of our Ws Tv's !
>>
This would be extremley expensive, but maby original animation teams could go back and add more picture to make it a widescreen image. This would work for more recent cartoons, of course, but doing this in live action would be a bit tougher...
Hmm, I think I just saw a pig fly by my window :).

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Like a dope, I recently hurried out of my local Blockbuster, in which I have pretty much coerced the managers to do my bidding DVD-wise, with a FULL SCREEN version of JURASSIC PARK III. Heck, it didn't say "FULL SCREEN" anywhere I noticed, but was I pissed? You bet jurassic!

I took it back the next day and made them give me a credit for it. When they asked why, I said it was P&S, and that they shouldn't stock P&S and that I wouldn't pay for it.

I got the credit. We should all do that.

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks