Yet another hysterical jab from Ebert about letterboxing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

From this week's Answer Man column at http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-...y-ebert27.html :

2. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Go Ebert Go!!!!

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[​IMG] Nice.
    Now if Ebert will just change his mind about Song of the South! [​IMG]

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

yeah, Ebert [​IMG]
    hmmm... Home Theater licenses, good idea. I say we set up a test like the DMV to get an 'HT card' [​IMG]
    Question #1: What is a laserdisc?
    A. A record-sized platter with a movie on it.
    B. A disc that can shoot laser beams.
    C. Haha... This is a trick question isn't it?
    D. 42
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

B? [​IMG]

7. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

I have yet to encounter a single clerk at the video rental chains that is not in a semi-catatonic state ranting on and on about their little clique of goof friends. Their only acknowledgement of the customer is that insipid greeting when you walk in - "hello", and there insatiable desire to tell you that they can't help you because the manager isn't in. Sh*t they aren't even worth minimum wage.

8. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Ebert has always been a champion of the filmmaker and the film enthusiast. It's good to see that advancing age does not diminish his passion and steadfastness.

He echoes what I staunchly believe - the fight against P&S will require punishing & destructive blows (the abolition of P&S), not compromise (dual-format releases, OAR education). When you've got legions of new dvd owners, most of whom are on the fence or have decided against OAR, compromise will only lead to the relegation of OAR as a niche, vastly more expensive product. Think divx - I wasn't there with the charge, but what I've heard is that the fight against was severe and relentless.

Although Ebert is renowned for intellectual tomes (only film critic to win the Pulitzer Prize), he is in essence one of us - a lover of films, one who commands that film be displayed in the HT as it was in its theatrical run.

9. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Ebert Rules.

10. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Ebert [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I have yet to encounter a single clerk at the video rental chains that is not in a semi-catatonic state ranting on and on about their little clique of goof friends. Their only acknowledgement of the customer is that insipid greeting when you walk in - "hello", and there insatiable desire to tell you that they can't help you because the manager isn't in. Sh*t they aren't even worth minimum wage. >>
    Hehe. I used to work at Blockbuster for three months in Wayne, New Jersey around 1998 or so, and that 'hello' was the most annoying part of the job. So forced, and all, since I would have prefered to meet the customer on the store floor instead of behind a counter. But, I have to say the most rewarding part of the job was looking through the stack of recently received videos, when someone asks you if a hard to find movie was just brought back in and actually saying, "Yes" for a change [​IMG].
    I was actually prety good about customer service, or so I like to think. I just wish I had more people ask about the quality of the movies in terms of widescreen vrs pan and scan, but this was back when DVD was just getting off the ground. As stated before, the most asked question I got was if a rare game or movie was back in...
    And no, I didn't get fired from the place, I walked out [​IMG]. Not nessecarilly a good thing, but the place really wasn't that organized at times.... I wasn't getting showed properly how to work a peice of equipment, and getting blamed when they found the wrong resulting price on the videos. I Asked a few times on how to really work it, but it took them a while to get to me because of all the other duties. So, when I FINALLY knew how to work the thing, I fixed all the mistakes I could, they told me to go on my dinner break, so I took that as a cue and never went back. It was actually a pretty fun job, when you worked days. Nights where a pain in the a$$...but fun when the stores where closed. Finally time to stop those incessant promotional videos and put on real movies to watch while stocking stuff...

12. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

13. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Greg, [​IMG] .
    Can you think of anyone else who is so vocal, ascerbic, and tenacious in their enmity of the alteration of film? Here is a respected critic, demi-celebrity, who publishes his rants against colorization of film and P&S.
    I understand and respect the civility displayed by this forum and its moderators when combating P&S. Name calling is not constructive. But which side has displayed more visciousness in their effort, more tenacity, and ultimately more results? Nascent stages, yes, but at this point is when the battle waged is most and should be most viscious.
    But it sounds like Ebert's been fighting the good fight for a long time, perhaps alone among his peers. It's also understandable why he's so sardonic.
    We're not ramming OAR down the throats of the masses. They're ramming P&S down our throats -Walmart, Target, and Blockbuster are determining the fate of the only standard.
    I say unequivocally - fighting P&S with civility and diplomacy will fail. Ebert understands the philosophy and process of the masses are asses. Once gone, who among the pinnacle will take the torch?

15. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

16. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Thank you, Roger Ebert, for panning pan and scan. I could almost kiss this guy.
    OAR 4-EVER: Never give up! Never surrender!

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

18. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Man, I wish all pan-and-scan dvd's came with a forced trailer/ad touting "widescreen is better".

19. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

20. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

Now if only every critic would talk like that. Maybe they should give two ratings for a movie. something like 3 stars for the widescreen version and 1 1/2 a stars for the full screen version. I wonder how many people would rent the full screen if that were the case.