Yet another HT Pic page..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Owens, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

Be kind, it's my first attempt at making any kind of web page. I can program multi million dollar production machinery but I have no clue regarding programming for the web experience. [​IMG].
    Danny
    My HT
    ------------------
    "In an insane world, the sane appear to be the insane"

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Very nice, Danny! [​IMG] [​IMG] I especially like the TV. Nice receiver too. Congratulations on a great set-up. The web site is well laid out too.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    It's Sony ES and the Delicate Balance of Power.

3. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

Nice set up!
    I like the way you did your speaker stands for the surounds, you know what would look cool especially with them standing next the fish tank is to put some kind of low volatge lighting on the back edge of the plexi, would give it a sweet edge lit look on the fron part.
    By the way nice media rack did you purchase that somewhere or have it made, because I'm looking for something similar for my grwing collection.

4. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

Hey Danny,
    What mod did you make to the entertainment center to allow it to hold that heavy tv?

5. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

nice set up,what i really want to know is what is in the tank.looks like a 55 gallon?
    ------------------
    #3 rest in peace Dale #3

6. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

Keith,
    Thanks
    Jeff,
    Good idea about backlighting. I think I'll give it a try.
    The shelves came from a local CD/DVD store. I'll be going by there this weekend; I'll see who the manufacturer is and let you know.
    Mickey,
    All I did was flip the center unit on its backside and screwed (3) 12" x 36" x 3/4" shelves (one on top of the other)on the bottom side. The recessed area (created by the bottom fir strips) just so happens to be 2 1/4" deep. By doing so, I spread out the weight distribution over an area of 12x36 instead of just the fir strips taking the weight. The weight of the TV sould have probably caused the center to droop a bit otherwise.
    Chad,
    Yea it's 55gal. I use it to test my fishing lures. [​IMG]
    Danny
    ------------------
    My HT

7. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Danny. Love the setup.
    My 36" Wega is coming Wednesday. I too am worried about the middle shelf bowing because of the weight. Any chance you can get a close up picture of the shelves on the site? Or email them to me @ [email protected]?
    I can't quite make them out on the current homepage.

8. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

9. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

Michael,
    Funny you should mention that. I have a couple of door wedges sitting behind the center and will occasionally put them in to tilt it down if the dialog of a movie seems buried.
    Mickey,
    I don't think I explained that well. The shelving is not visible. They are under the bottom most shelf. The one the the DVD player sits on. I laid down the center section so I could see the bottom of the DVD player's shelf and mounted the 12x36x3/4" strips to the bottom of that shelf and then stood it back up. The shelves that hold the receiver and DVD are supported by 2 verticles. Those verticles run from the top of the DVD shelf to the bottom of the TV shelf; so now, those two verticles direct the force from the TV straight down to the DVD shelf and then through to the 3 pieces of wood which displace it over 3 square feet. At the front bottom of the center section, where the entertainment center meets the floor, ther is a piece of moulding (which I earlier referred to as a fir strip) it is directly behind that moulding where the 2-1/2" cavity is.
    If you still have a question, I'll draw it up in AutoCAD and send the drawing to you in an image file. Unless you have AutoCAD??
    Danny
    ------------------
    My HT

10. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I'd have to say that is one of te nicest "traditional" setups I have see in a long time. It looks very classy.
    How do you find the EQ for all the speakers, is it hard to setup?, and how do you like the difference whith the balanced sound?
    I like the addtion of the fish tank as well, that issomething I might venture into the summer when my room configuration changes and I have more room.
    Again, very nice setup.
    ------------------
    Oops...I dropped my eardrums
    could you pick them up for
    me

11. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Great job on the HT set-up..The room definately looks to be very clean. Never seen so many EQ's in one unit,,talk about control [​IMG].
    A fish tank is also nice furniture or decoration in the HT room IMHO.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Trevor [​IMG]
    http://www.joey6p.com/trevor

12. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

Jeff,
    The manufacturer of the DVD/CD rack is Leslie Dame. You can do a search on Lycos for their web page; they are listed as one of Lycos' online stores. They have a large selection of all types of media storage.
    Ryan,
    The eq's were very easy to set up. I was in pro audio for years and mixed for some very well known national acts from the late 80's to the early 90's; such as: Reo Speedwagon, Warrant, Twisted Sister ect, ect. As such, I am very familiar with eq's and setting them up. I would have much rather used a bunch of Klark Technics or Urei, but didn't want to spend the money. Besides, I used a Crown pink noise generator/rta to set up the reference curves and got very close. 31 band (1/3 octave eq's would have been much better, but again, I got very close to flat with the Onkyo's. I don't know why so many people have a problem with using eq's, I would never think about using any system without them.
    Danny
    ------------------
    My HT

13. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Danny, what more can I say but WOW. Your setup looks so great and inviting. It almost makes me feel like upgrading something [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

14. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

Very nice set up, truly! and I like the way you have the DVD collection so easy to reference and locate! Is that of your own making or is it an available database created for movie listings?
    G2
    ------------------
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

15. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

16. James Camm

James Camm Extra

nice job looks good
    ------------------

17. Vance V

Vance V Extra

Very nice setup! How do your fish feel about the surround speakers? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Vance
    My HT Pics

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Very nice Home Theater rig Danny [​IMG] Very clean and sleek looking.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] The Green Room