Yet another help me pick a DVD Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brent T, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

Jun 13, 2004
    Ok guys and gals I need some help here. I have a Sony DVD Player that I got after I sold my Laser Disc Unit, so yes its old.

I am using the following:

Sony KDF-E55A20 Television
    Intergra DTR-8.4 Reciever
    Totem Arro Fronts
    Totem Rainmaker Center
    Totem Lynks Rears
    and an older Klip sub that I will be replacing this spring

I am looking to spend 300-500 on my DVD player (not much more till we see what happens with HDDVD) and I am not that concerned with brand.

As for scaling I will leave that to the suggestions.

Thanks a bunch !
  2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Oct 22, 2005
    In that price range I'd certainly suggest you look at the Denon 1920.

Alternatively Onkyo makes a couple in that range. I have no personal experience with those models but I've always liked the brand's gear.
  3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Nov 8, 2002
    Chris Gerhard
    Some problems with the DVD-1920 power supply have been reported on the AVSForum although I haven't paid much attention to the issue. You don't mention what disc formats you want to be able to play but assuming the Panasonic DVD-S97S has your needs covered, that would be the player I would recommend at the upper end of your price range. You should make sure your display doesn't have problems with the macroblocking enhancement associated with all of the Faroudja FLI23xx players. I believe it does not. The AVSForum should have the definitive answer. The Sony DVP-NS70H and if you need SACD, the NS90H, are worthy of consideration at a much lower price. I have an NS70H I bought open box and really like it.