What's new

Yet Another Help Me Decide Post (1 Viewer)

DamonRod

Auditioning
Hello All,
I am currently in the market for a new HDTV system. I am leaning towards a set that can handle 1080p since i will be buying a PS3 as soon as one is available. On that note, I primarily watch movies and play a lot of games on my current Panny Plasma tv and I do foresee myself hooking up my PC to play some games as well (it looks horrible on my panasonic currently). I am looking for an LCD (I realize that Plasma's still look much better than their LCD counterparts at that size). I do not want to go higher than 55" and the distance between the couch and the TV is approx 7 feet. I was looking at the Sony SXRD series and the Samsung DLP series but I am not against a regular LCD or another brand for that matter.

There is one big worry that I have about the TVs I listed which is bulb replacement. I'm not worried about doing it myself but the frequency and price of replacing them. $300 a year does not sound like fun to me. If anyone has any thoughts to share on this it would most appreciated.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They used to be $600. Now they're $300. After LED takes off, they'll probably be near $100 in a few years. You don't have to buy the bulb until you need it, and you should get at least 2 years out of what you have, so it shouldn't really be a huge issue.

BTW, 55" is the perfect size for 7' at 1080p -- the HL-S5687W is $1800-$1900 shipped online.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
For DLP's, the best thing is to leave them off or on as long as possible before turning them on or off. Frequent on/offing will kill the bulb fairly quick.
As far as bulb replacement, get OE bulbs. I've been reading horror stories from people buying chineze bulbs for a "discount" and it was not funny.

A plasma will last about 6-15 years. But when it dies, you pop another $2000-whatever on the replacement, as the panel is about 50% or more of the TV's price. I have a Mitsubishi WD-57732 and it is an awesome television. We too are biting our nails, waiting for the bulb to go out. It wont be for a while, but we are going to see how bad it will be in a year or two.

Also, before commiting to a Mitsu, or Sammy, or Sony, research a bit more.
For instance, on Google, seach "green glob".
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=726242 (this pertains to Sony). Every TV you look at will have some kind of dirt on it, however.

DamonRod

Auditioning
Thank you for the quick responses. I am definitely researching online and I think I need to go back to Best Buy for another comparison. I really do like things I'm seeing and hearing about DLP. The Mitsubishi 732 series has been getting many positive reviews and as far as I know doesn't have a forum thread dedicated to any particular problem. Although the Samsung also looks fantastic (the screen and the actual unit). Decisions, Decisions...

On another note, do any of you know a good online retailer of Wood Entertainment centers? I googled a few places but they are ridiculously expensive.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Frankly, whatever you look at on the showroom floor bears little resemblance to what you can achieve at home due to settings, source, and viewing distances (it can make a ton of difference). I bought my HLS-6178W without seeing it in action, because the consensus from the calibration community was that the Samsung HLS DLP's have the best potential color reproduction (requiring, of course, professional calibration). I considered that to be a much more valid measure of a set than seeing poorly calibrated sets in a showroom. I think it's kind of funny that some people go by what they see in a showroom when what you're getting at CC or BB is either a crappy or dishonest signal (in that it plays to the strengths of the set to make it look better) and picture settings that would make an ISF calibrator faint.

I know this sounds crazy but... bottom line is, if you like what you're reading about the Mits set, then I'd go by that feedback and not bother looking at the TV other than to gauge specific features, although most of those (dimensions, inputs, etc) are already online.

The only reason to look at one in person is to gauge your sensitivity to the rainbow effect. I would say on a scale from 1-10 I'm a 4, but since it happens infrequently, I just don't let it bother me.

BTW, if you do this, try to get a black & white movie on there. That's a real RBE torture test.

DamonRod

Auditioning
I agree which is why I usually go into these stores with copies of Dark City and Aliens VS Predator (Yes I realize it sucked but it is a very dark movie). And I usually have them put on sets on the "movie" setting since it's closer to how I would view my movies. The problem I've had was the ability to see the Mits and Sammy side by side since the jerks at my local Circuit City wouldn't move them next to each other. Good call on the B&W for the RBE test. I'll start carrying a copy of Seven Samurai or Rashomon.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Mitsubishi WD-57732 as well. I get it tomorrow, i will let you know what i think. I am going to be using my PS3 for Blu-Ray movies also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks