1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

yet another "help me choose my speakers" thread...but c'mon in anyway!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Jul 24, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

ok...i'm 21 and got some cash burning in my pocket. i got a great set of CSW speakers that i love but i've slowly been replacing my gear..went out ant got a new $700 sony receiver, replaced my passive sub with a 12" 200w sub (best $$ ever spent!!), but now i'm sitting here staring at my CSW cubes with an empty feeling in my stomach..I NEED MORE!
    i can spend about $800 for the front, rear, & center. after reading reviews, etc i've become intrigued by the HTD level III. where else can i get two towers, two mains, and a beefy center for $750, ya know? plus they also seem to be made great, look great, and come with a 5yr warranty. i'm planning on ordering them and giving them a demo in my room...assuming i like them i'll keep 'em. but my question is..do you think HTD will be around in 5 yrs to honor the warranty? they're a new company, etc. i know $800 for speakers isnt a whole loe by many standard but i'd need/love my money to last me at least those 5 years, ya know?
    so with that being said...if i like me should i keep 'em?
    any other brands/systems worth looking at that will get me equal towers, main, center?
    thanks, tom

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Albeit not towers, the nOrh 4.0 ($850) and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 packages are well within your price range. I think that all of those companies will be around in five years and will honor any warrenty the speakers have. That is, of course, if you have not already succumbed to upgraditis.

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I'm not familiar with the HTD system so I can't help you there but I thought I'd offer you an alternative. If you're not absolutely stuck on the idea of having towers for your mains, check out the NHT speakers at Yawa Audio . You can get 4 of the NHT SuperOnes for $458 (2 @ $229/pr) and an NHT SuperCenter for $199 for a total of $657 + shipping. This is an excellent setup for the price and they also come with a 5 year warranty from a company that will be around in 5 years. You can find reviews for these speakers Here . Yawa Audio is also a very reputable dealer so you wouldn't have any fear of being ripped off. Good luck with your decision.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Count me as another very satisfied customer ofwww.yawaonline.com - I actually drive to the store since it's only about 30 miles from me.
    I'm not too familiar with the NHT brand, although I've liked what I've heard in the store. If that's the brand you're looking at, definitely give Yawa a call or email and they will take care of you well.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

5. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

2nd the nOrh 4.0's - for $850 for all 5 speakers, delivered, they are an incredible bargain for the quality of sound they put out. One of the best imaging speakers I have heard.
    ------------------
    "Remember Sammy Jenkins"