Yet another "help me choose a receiver" thread!

StewartG

Auditioning
Real Name
Stewart
I've reading threads and researching HT and A/V issues for two days and I have a BIG headache.

I finally pulled the trigger on a bunch of DefTech speakers yesterday for my family room (20' by 20' with 18' ceiling, wood floors and lots of openings). SM350 L/R, C/L/R 2300 center, UIWBPA surrounds and Supercube 1 sub.

Now I need a new receiver to drive those suckers!

I will be buying a plasma or LCD 1080p display in a few months so here is what I need:

Solid amp, easy to use (WAF), with good quality 1080p upconversion (yes, I know, this is VERY relative!).

I would like to make sure that all inputs and outputs are all "user assignable" (but this is pretty standard now, yes?)

I would like to have ONE SINGLE output to my monitor so all video switching is done through the receiver (again, simplicty and WAF are key here). I would like to be able to do this via component cable output for the next few months until I get an HDMI monitor.

Anything else I should consider?

I'm inclined toward the Yamaha series, as I've enjoyed my RX-V595 for many many years now.

My current price range is a big higher. I could afford either the RX-V1700 or 2700 nowadays.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Questions?

All of your help and input is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Stewart

The Yamaha 2700 should be excellent. I also like the Denon 2703. Next June or July, Denon is coming out with a whole new line that will handle HDMI 1.3 and have the codecs for HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Happy New Year

StewartG

Auditioning
Real Name
Stewart

Thanks so much for the response!

If I purchased something now, I would be inclined to go with the 2700.

Of course, the "responsible" thing would be to wait until the new lineups come out with HDMI 1.3 (not as big of a deal) as well as the codecs for HDDVD and blu ray... (much bigger deal!)

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gopal babu