What's new

Yet another happy Panasonic PT-L300U owner. (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Andrew. Didn't expect you to drop by Trevor.

Anyways, after eating that crow I've now watched my first two actually letterboxed DVDs on the projector. Die Hard and Die Hard II. And um, ya, I don't like letterboxed DVD's in comparison to anamorphic ones (on my old 4:3 43" Sony it was the other way around ;) ).

They look fine when framed within a 4:3 portion of the 16:9 screen. But when you blow them up to fill the whole screen width they loose something. Depending on the scene it ranges from just about as good as an anamorphic disc to noticably worse.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Those were my old windows. What I think you are talking about is not there anymore as I've managed to get the windows replaced.

But the old windows had some wire with foam stretched across them to stop them from rattling. That didn't work so I inflated some 12" bike tire inner tubes between the storm window and window. That mostly stopped the rattling.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Those are some pretty awesome shots you have of the 300u in action Dustin! I want one but currently live in an apartment with three other people, so I'm making do with my 47" Panny 16:9 TV. But after seeing your pics, and David Tolsky's DLP on a 9' wide (not diagonal) screen, all I can say is "
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
"

I envy you guys... :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well the picture quality of the Die Hard box set certainly sucks. And for some strange reason the third one is the worst. Unless I'm doing something wrong for letterboxed DVDs with TheaterTek they are simply aweful. I need to get back to an anamorphic disk :p) Die Hard is depressing me which sucks as I liked those movies. And I really don't want to go buy all the individual 2 disc collector editions.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah those original Die Hard discs are terrible (though the 2 disc'er for #3 ain't that great either, at least it's anamorphic). The 2-disc for #1 and #2 are definitely worth the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks