What's new

Yet another happy Panasonic PT-L300U owner. (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Had it up and running for roughly two weeks now and finally got around to taking pics and getting my website updated. My thoughts on it and details about my setup can found on my website. Here's a direct link to my current equipment page:

http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/current.php

PS- Purchased from Visual Apex. No complaints on that front and I would recommend them. And for fellow Canadians, I had to pay duty ($130CDN) and GST ($170CDN) on it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congratulations. Those are some nice screen shots, what method did you use. Love the DIY sub too.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Just a digital camera on auto on a tripod infront of the loveseat with no flash. Paused the DVD when I got around where I thought would be a good screen shot and then stepped forward a frame at a time until things where nice and clear. Then took the picture.

Sub was my number one toy until the projector. Still really like it though. Doesn't seem like a little over 2 years ago that I built it.

Although I'm looking forward to hopefully getting ride of it and replacing it with a multiple 15" driver infinite baffle. But I don't think I'll do that until Adire releases some lower cost XBL^2 drivers. Oh and I also want to build some HE series speakers from Adire first as well. But again I'm gonna wait for the XBL^2 versions. Which means my system might actually stay the same for a quite a while.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What resolution is your digital camera. Those shots are a nice size and so clear.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Camera is a Nikon Coolpix 995(3 megapixel). It was set to XGA (1024X768) and the fine jpg setting.

The only problem with those pictures is in every one there are two specs of dust on the lense that make it look like I have a green and red dead pixel on the display.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Stunning screen shots Dustin. Great HT rig as well. Nothing can beat the visual splendor these little LCD machines put out for the investment put in. It's been close to two months with my 200u and I still sit amazed at the picture.

Congrats!

Peace Out~:D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys. Just finished watching Saving Private Ryan.

Wow :eek:

Simply stunning. Looked even better than Gladiator. Spielburg really knows how to shoot a film.

On a side note I've discovered one drawback to the projector. I never used to be able to tell the difference between a letterboxed and anamorphic DVD. But I certainly can now. So now not only do I have to be pissed about studios releasing pan and scan crap. Now I have to worry about them releasing a letterbox disc instead of an anamorphic one :thumbsdown:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Great looking theater for sure Dustin. When your friends come over do they notice the difference between letterboxed and anamorphic as readily as you do?

Parker

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Haven't had enough people over to watch films and actually show both yet. And as I was going back though my collection I never even noticed initially all the films I was choosing to rewatch were anamorphic.

Watching Dark City it just didn't quite look as good as the others I'd watched so far. Initially chopped it up to a poor transfer. Then when I was checking if LA Confidential was 1.85 or 1.78 I noticed it was letterboxed. Then while watching, hey this looks a lot like the quality of Dark City. And then sure enough going back through what I'd watched so far, those where the two letterboxed discs.

I'll be sure to test a few people in the coming months though.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Dustin...and anyone else...have you used a xbox or ps2 on this thing? Just curious as to how it looks:) next upgrade? hmm...dunno. tom

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Had an Xbox and Gamecube briefly hooked up the first day I got it and was testing it on a wall that wasn't terribly great.

Also remember that in my setup DSS and any game system will be ran to the computer capture card and put through Dscaler.

I've had to return the camera I used for the other screen shots to my parents. But sometime this week if you want I'll hook an Xbox to it through the computer/Dscaler and direct and take some pictures with my roommates camera. Not sure what we'll do for a tripod though with his camera.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
So you can't hook it up straight through the projector itself? Just curious on how this works...do look into some screens for me..that would kick..if the xbox is near quality of the 55" mitsu, it may be mine:) tom

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The projector has component, s-video, and composite inputs, so you can hook up the Xbox directly to it.

~t

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oops I worded one of those sentences wrong. I've fixed it now to say what I meant.

As Thi noted the Panny has almost every video connection option available on it. A computer is not necessary.

The problem with the Xbox will be resolution. I don't believe Xbox is as high as DVD, so when blown up as large as the projector will allow, it will definately be a limiting factor on the image quality.

But the other nice thing about an LCD projector with games is you don't have to worry about burn in at all.

Elias A.

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin, I think you're mistaken about Dark City and L.A. Confidential being non-anamorphic. I believe both of those titles are anamorphic, and as I recall the transfers are quite nice. In fact, the reviewers at Amazon give them both 5 out of 5 for picture quality - not that they're always right. I'm not sure why they looked bad in your theater, but I don't think it has anything to do with the transfers themselves. Anyway, this is probably a better discussion to have in the software forum, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Doh, didn't read the part after it said letterboxed on the L.A. Confidential box. Time to eat some Crow. Appears the same goes for Dark City.

Now I'm really stumped as to why neither looked as good as Gladiator of Fifth Element.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks