What's new

Yet ANOTHER format? What is Sony thinking? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
First came word that the DVD forum has been "convinced" to stop forward momentum on finalizing HD-DVD standards...because of SONY primarily, which bypassed the DVD forum and began marketing its own technology (Blu-Ray) as the next HD-"DVD" format. D'OH!

Now comes news in THIS article that they're going to introduce ANOTHER recordable HD format, this time on DV/Mini-DV TAPES, yes that's right, TAPES!!! What the hell are they thinking??

HD-DVD keeps getting pushed farther and farther away from reality with all this B.S. (D-VHS, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, HD-DVD? Blu-Ray, now HD-DV!!) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :angry: :angry:

-Dennis

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even though the article mentions the consumer use, I'm sure it'll primarily be used in the broadcast arena. Right now, the broadcast industry is virtually 100% tape. (i.e. Digi-Beta and Beta-SP). This is definitely an area where a HD-Tape stock would be very welcome and versatile over discs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ALmost definately a future professsional or at least prosumer format. They'll never be selling movies on it

And before you scream again, UMD is strictly going to be a delivery medium for PlayStation Portable

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sony finally teaming up with JVC, this should produce good results. Recording to an optical format demands a rigid environment.. it's hard to imagine anything other than tape to be used at this point out in the field.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Should be interesting to see what JVC and Sony come out with. Panasonic already has (and has for some time) an HD format that uses DV-sized tapes called DVCPRO-100.

-greg

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Paul and James, you're looking at this from a consumer level. Tape is an uncompressed format. In the broadcast world, this is a definite plus! We're not talking about consumer level tape (i.e VHS) here.

Personally, I (as a consumer) avoid tape as much as possible in my home, but (as a person who works in the professional video field) when it comes to broadcast video, I support tape whole heartedly.

As Scott stated, the Optical disc doesn't come close to what tape can do for a professional, so I wouldn't worry about this HD-Tape overtaking the HT market. This HD-tape is a much needed piece of stock until optical can keep up with the demands of a video professional.

Think of it this way. Beta-SP and Digi-Beta are used in the Professional field all the time (and have been for many years), and yet it hasn't threatened the consumer market at all. Optical is just a better, cheaper and more practical way of distributing high quality movies to consumers without the need for everyone to go out and buy $20,000 digi beta decks.

As Jeff already stated, no need to get upset or feel threatened in any way because the average consumer will probably never even come into contact with HD-Tape.

p.s. Don't either of you have a video camera? Sure, there may be DVD cameras out there (at least I think there are), but they're just getting started and (at this moment), I can't think of anything better than digital tape to record video.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The industry is playing with the idea of a camcorder that records to disc, but it's going to be a long time before consumers can get a blu-ray camcorder. They've just now started making a digital still camera that records to mini CD-R.

Meanwhile, VHS-caliber camcorders have long since disappeared, so D-VHS is out of the picture as a camcorder format. The logical choice is mini-DV. It's already digital and it's already 25 Mbps. This agreement with Sony is just jumping on a bandwagon started by JVC's new HD camcorders.

ChrisA

Second Unit
If we had nothing but to chose from current DVD as is stands, or D-VHS, I would chose D-VHS because of the huge quality (bandwidth/storage) difference. That being said, I look forward to Blu-Ray.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Sorry, anything with the usage of tape gets a :thumbsdown: from me.
What a narrow-minded view. As pointed earlier, DVDs, HD Broadcasts, they are all mastered on tapes. So by using your logic, since they have something to do with the 'usage of tape', you hate them too?

Some people can't view anything beyond consumer-level... sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks