Yet ANOTHER english football quesiton.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jason L., Jul 18, 2004.

1. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

Jul 12, 1999
    I am trying to find out the purpose behind the "testimonial" match, like the one Arsenal had for Martin Keown at the end of last season.

I thought it was just a nice way to say goodbye to a loyal player, but then I came across this regarding Ray Parlour:

I am rather bewildered at this. In addition to the outrageous sums of money these pleayers make, they then ask the poor fans to "pass the hat" and fork over additional money? Unbelievable.
  2. paul-faofnight

paul-faofnight Auditioning

Mar 10, 2004
    you are correct to a degree, nowadays testimonials are an outdated concept. to qualify for a testimonial a player had to have served a club for a period of ten years thus showing a certain degree of loyalty, to club and fans. back in the old days of the 40's 50's and 60's when players wages were not so vast, testimonials were a little nest egg for a player to look forward to, and in some cases all they had to look forward to. so in that respect a testimonial was a valued concept. but as players wages grew to outrageous amounts (through no fault of their own i might add)the purpose of the testimonial became redundant. granted players in lower leagues are on far less money compared to the top two leagues. my hometown club are traditionally a lower league team but even some of their players earn $3000 to $5000 a week.
    a few of the high earners sometimes give their testimonial money to charity, earning universal respect and admiration from fans and the public in general, but these cases are few and far between and the majority of players are seen as selfish and greedy.
    hope this has given you a few answers.
  3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Apr 4, 2002
    Yee Ming Lim
    Well, not so much "pass the hat" but pay to watch an exhibition match, and if the fans valued the player, they would bother to turn up.

But agreed, it's a somewhat outmoded thing considering the wages most stars are on now. Having said that, the flip side is, how many stars actually stay 10 years at one club any more? Their agents are always trying to wrangle the next big move with a big fat signing-on fee. The "strange" thing is that besides Parlour, who is overdue, Bergkamp would be eligible for one at the end of 2004-05, this being his 10th (and almost certainly, final) season with Arsenal. Who'd have thought a "foreigner" would stay 10 years? So it's a further reward for loyalty. And if you don't agree with the concept, just don't go to the match (or any of the other related activities -- IIRC nowadays it isn't just limited to the match, there might be a dinner, a golf-day or other activities).

But if that's "strange", imagine: Tony Adams had TWO testimonials -- his entire professional career was spent at Arsenal. Not sure if David O'Leary was given two, though.

Also, in the "bad old days" there was a maximum wage. This was only abolished in the late 1960s, IIRC, when Jimmy Hill, him of the famous "chin", was chairman of the PFA and they managed to break this (not sure if they took the clubs to Court or went on strike; Court, I think). So in those days, players never got rich playing and the testimonial was a welcome boost to the retirement fund.
  4. andrew markworthy

Sep 30, 1999
    Can't add anything to the previous answers. Just to say that you also have testimonial matches in other Brit sports as well and in cricket you can have a testimonial season (note that cricket wages, except for those at the very top of the game, are generally pretty modest).