What's new

Yet Another DVD-A Question (1 Viewer)

Lin Park

Second Unit
I am considering getting the JVC SA75GD to replace my older Philips DVD player. Here are the things it will upgrade in my system:

1) Progressive Scan Video

2) DTS capabilities (my Denon AVR-2700 is DD only)

3) DVD-Audio

This also happens to be the exact order from an importance standpoint of why I want this player.

I am going to be hooking this thing up to a Panasonic 56" widescreen HDTV so I expect an improvement in the picture. I will be hooking up the 5.1 outputs into my 5.1 inputs on the Denon AVR-2700 to take advantage of the DTS decoder.

And now the big kicker - this system is mostly used to listen to stereo music with the following equipment:

1) Denon HDCD Carousel

2) QuickSilver Line Stage w/ HT Bypass

3) QuickSilver V4 Monoblock Amplifiers

4) Vandersteen Model Fives

I want to listen to 2-channel DVD-Audio tracks and possibly the multi-channel tracks as well. Will I be able to do this and what kind of results should I expect?

And lastly, any other DVD players I should consider? The JVC is $279 @ BestBuy or $229 on-line.

Thanx,

Lin

P.S. Don't even bother asking why such a cheap CD player - I'm gonna upgrade this thing soon enough courtesy of the Federal Government giving back my hard earned money.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lin,
The JVC is capable of doing exactly what you're looking for. Don't expect the world of it for DVD-Audio playback though.
The Toshiba SD-5700 sounds better for only slightly more money, but doesn't have DTS decoding :frowning:
I think at your price point, your choices are limited, and the JVC fits your requirements the best presently.
Regards,

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Lin,

I have the JVC and overall I am happy with it. It took awhile to get ti configured right. Do a search through the forum to find comments on the player including mine.

This player does not show the subtitles of the alien speech in Star Wars the Phantom Menace if that is a concern.

Peter

Lin Park

Second Unit
John,

Are you saying that the quality of the DVD-A for this unit is lacking and if so what are you comparing it to and what alternative would you suggest?

Thanx,

Lin

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lin,

I said that the Toshiba SD-5700 sounded better on DVD-Audio than the JVC for roughly the same price. The tradeoff is no DTS decoding.

The JVC had better picture quality, and DTS decoding. The JVC XV-D723GD and the XV-S70GD both were not very good for DVD-A players.

Since you require DTS decoding, the safe bet is the JVC player.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lin,

I agree with John. JVC's DVD-Audio players have been disappointing on the audio side (with both CDs and DVD-Audio discs). The Toshiba would be a better bet from that standpoint.

It's unfortunate that the selection of budget progressive-scan DVD-Audio players is so limited. Panasonic was supposed to release the DVD-RP61, but that got cancelled after a very short production run (none were released in the US). I am also disappointed that Pioneer has not offered such a player because I feel they make solid products. Maybe you will be rewarded if you wait awhile for a different budget model. It was announced at the recent CES that Panasonic will be releasing a new progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. I believe the model number will be DVD-RP62. I don't know how much it will cost, but it could be cheap, as the model number suggests it is along the lines of the 'RP61, which would have sold for around $300. My bet is that it will have a DTS decoder because all of Matsushita's (parent company of Panasonic and Technics) DVD-Audio players have had DTS decoders.

Can you up your budget to around $500? If so, take a look at the Panasonic DVD-RP91. J&R Music World, an authorized dealer, sells it for $500 or a little less. The 'RP91 has gotten rave reviews on this site for its picture quality, and it has a DTS decoder. It is also a good audio component for the money. I would give it a look before settling for the JVC player. You have a nice system there, and I feel the JVC would be a weak link audiowise.

Best of luck.

John,

I honestly was not aware that the Toshiba DVD-Audio players have no DTS decoder. That's stupid in my opinion. I mean, the 5.1-channel outputs have to be used for DVD-Audio playback, so why not include a DTS decoder so that the user can use these outputs for all of his or her music and movie needs?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

It's no more stupid than the behaviour of the rest of the player.

You have to manually switch between the 5.1 and digital outputs when you go between formats. So, if you have the 5.1 output activated, the digital out is off, which means no external DD decoder.

Toshiba is missing the boat on their player ergonomics, IMO.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, that is stupid. Normally, switching off the digital outputs is an option on some higher-end components. The way the Toshiba players handle it is just stupid. When the Toshiba SD-9200 dropped down to $800 or less, I briefly considered it as a replacement for my Technics DVD-A10. However, I quickly dropped that idea when I heard about the ergonomic issues associated with the '9200. As you may recall from other discussion here and on Audio Asylum, I now use the 'A10 without a TV for DVD-Audio and I love it. The ergonomics on the 'A10 are very good, and the player sounds quite good for the price. I'm sticking with the 'A10. :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
It's no more stupid than the behaviour of the rest of the player.
Or the features they offer on progressively higher model numbers. They offer Progressive Scan on the 3700, Prog Scan and DVD-A on the 4700, Prog Scan and HDCD but no DVD-A on the 5700. What's up with that?

Patrick

Lin Park

Second Unit
Thanks John and Keith for the suggestions. I think I am going to take a look at the Panasonic RP91. Even though I listed DVD-Audio last in my preferences, I still want the audio to sound good because of the audio equipment that I have. And I'm betting the progressive scan and DTS in the Panny is at least as good, if not better, than the JVC.

Thanks again,

Lin

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

Bzztttt... Sorry that's not the correct answer, but thanks for playing tonight on DVD Jeopardy.

The Toshiba SD-5700 most definitely plays back DVD-Audio.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I won't answer on the video quality, as that's not my area of greatest expertise.

The Panasonic RP-91 definitely sounds better than the JVC players in all categories.....

It also sells for > $100 price differential, so you should expect higher performance for more $$$.

Regards,

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Bzztttt... Sorry that's not the correct answer, but thanks for playing tonight on DVD Jeopardy.
I stand corrected but you'd think that the Toshiba Canada website would have DVD-A in the description of the 5700. It does in the 4700 description but nothing in the 5700. I had to go to the US website to confirm what you were saying.

Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lin, the Panasonic 'RP91 is the way to go if you don't mind spending a little more money. If you do pick one up, let us know what you think. Then, if you need recommendations for quality DVD-Audio titles, just ask.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Warning: consumer justifying purchase post ahead...

I have the JVC 723 player and have been very happy with it's performance. I'm not going to try to tell you taht it's better than the RP91 because I've never seen the Panasonic. I have heard that the video performance is very good for both these players(I can vouch for the 723) and that the RP91 is a better DVD-a player. After listening to several DVD-a discs, I really like the sound of the 723.

My question is, how much difference in audio quality can be discerned between these players using mid-fi equipment? You would think that higher end receivers or separates(of which I have neither)* would be required to notice a difference in sound quality.

Just curious.

*My equipment list on my webpage needs to be updated. Minus one Parasound amp-prepro, add one Denon 2802.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks