Yet another car decision thread. Calling all DeLorean owners!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, I'll finally be in a good enough financial position to be able to purchase a brand-new car in a few months. HOWever, here is my dilemma. I like Honda, and have had my eye on a Honda Accord EX V6 for quite some time. Unfortunately, everyone and their brother (both my parents have Hondas and I now have a Honda; I'm essentially getting tired of Hondas even though their Accord V6 kicks serious arse). So, I want to get a car that's not only unique but also makes a statement.

So, given the above, my dream car has always been...get ready to laugh...a DeLorean. Since I took a test ride in one in the earlier days of my childhood, I have ALWAYS wanted to get a DeLorean for a car. I can't tell you how many times I've bugged my dad to get me a DeLorean for my birthday.

Of course, I do not plan on buying off the street or directly from an owner (still have reservations about doing that even though I know they tend to take excellent care of their cars; but that depends on the car), but from DeLorean Motor Company themselves. I live close to one of the only ones (if not THE only one) in California, and as I understand it they sell very high quality refurbished models of DeLoreans. I figure that would be the best way to go, as I still live close enough to take it in for service if need be.

That's one of my only concerns. I have a couple others:

2. How will I guard against theft of my newly-acquired vehicle? Will places that sell car alarms be readily able to deal with a DeLorean? Does DMC even sell or install car alarms for DeLoreans? I haven't yet noticed car alarms in the catalogs on their web sites.

3. Insurance. Since vehicles before 1990 generally do not show up on such sites as Mercury Insurance.com, how much should I expect to pay for monthly insurance?

4. And finally, how cool will I look with a DeLorean? [​IMG]

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Not as cool as I would! [​IMG]

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    When my buddy test drove a local one a few years back he learned that one of the main problems with the car was something to do with the way the fuel pump or something to do with it was poorly designed and it failed or at least caused a LOT of headaches. I guess if you did want one, I'd scour the web for any other trouble spots the car has.

Other than that I'd say it would be a lot of fun to have and by all means you must get a personal tag that says:

IM BACK

[​IMG]

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep. There were a lot of fuel pump and electrical problems with the Delorean. And getting it serviced will probably suck.

I don't think Insurance will be as high as you think, though, as it would probably be listed as a show car now. Do expect engine work.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

You won't look terribly cool, because nobody will be able to see you through the god-awful sliding wing windows. Also be sure to not park close to anyone else.

Back on topic:

The DeLorean DMC coupe is now 20 years old. Don't be suprised if you have to buy classic or collectors car insurance for it (especally since they dont make cars anymore), which may require you to keep a "daily driver" such as your honda.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Don't worry about anyone stealing the car... just make sure you get the flux capacitor with the removable faceplate.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Love DeLoreans, a very cool and unique looking car. I'd buy one if I could. Where is this place in CA Brian? Just wondering if I'm close to it.

I'm leaning towards a mini for my mid-life crisis car. Maybe even the convertible.

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Interesting thought - I think you'd look pretty cool. Unfortunately the "Back to the Future" series made them a bit cartoonish to some folks, but who cares. Go for it!

Inquiring minds want to know... what is the street price of a DeLorean ? What are the anticipated maintenace costs ?

9. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

And what is the cost of adding the Mr. Fusion option?

10. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Yeah... my buddy Marty kept bitching about that problem. [​IMG]

Yes - I would get one in a heartbeat if I could! I've seen several... a guy on my parents' street used to own one, and my x-girlfriends uncle used to have one as well (it had about 12,000 km's on it, and was sitting in his garage for YEARS without having been driven. What a waste).

Anyway, check out the official Delorean Website for all the info about getting one from the "official" source. Or, you could always check e-bay.

Moe.

11. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
  12. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

That's about how much I expected one to cost. More than ten years ago when I was researching used cars I saw that DeLoreans were selling for around $15k. So if they're still going for about that much then that's pretty good(in terms of resale value).

13. Brian Harnish

LOL, guys! But are you sure the flux capacitor with the removable face is secure enough? I mean, come on everyone's going to SEE all that time machine crap on the back of the vehicle, y'know!! [​IMG]

Anyway, yeah, I was seriously considering getting a completely refurbished DeLorean straight from the source (DeLorean.com) for use as a daily driver. Main reason being is that they say that they've completely eliminated the factory "gremlins" (mentioned in several above posts) that plagued them in the early days.

Has anyone had any experience going that route? I'm a little nervous putting $20K (50% deposit required) down on a DeLorean when it takes three months to do the job (and it's several states away). I seriously want to get the engine upgraded to the 197hp one and a CD sound system put in (which, as noted by the spec-out I did would cost around an additional $6K).

Needless to say, I'd much rather pay a bit more for a high-quality DeLorean (and take care of it with standard maintenance) than buying one off the street and having to have it serviced for serious issues such as fuel injection problems, etc. every month.

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Well, yeah, hitting your head on the steering wheel time after time gets pretty painful.

16. Brian Harnish

Well, I have my eye on a new model: The Mercedes CLK500 Coupe. Grrrrr. I hate these types of decisions. They can be so frustrating. [​IMG]