Yet another bass shaker question....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekM, Oct 3, 2002.

1. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Yes, I did run a search, but I'm really hoping that one of you can provide some additional information as to mounting these to a couch, and also where I can find the low-pass filter (50hz)? I cannot find these online anywhere. Anyways, I understand that I'm supposed to mount the shakers to a piece of mdf that is somehow attached to the frame of the couch........can anyone provide some pics of successful attempts of this project? Also, does one get better results from mounting them horizontally or vertically? And any particular area in the couch that gets more response? Are any additional connections needed? I will be using an old DPL receiver that is Y-ed from the LFE on my existing receiver, and will be daisy-chaining 4 shakers to the couch & loveseat. Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of the help! Derek.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Jusk make sure they have a nice solid mount to the frame and you will be fine. MDF is not required unless you don't have enough space on the frame to mount them. Also, make sure they are wired properly.

3. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

I love asking questions on here! [​IMG] Anthony..what exactly would those things do? only allow signals of 50Hz or lower to pass through to the bass shakers?

4. more or less. it is an inline (RCA level) filter that is 2nd order.

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Those are pretty cool Anthony. I'll have to see about trying them out on my shakers. I get a little annoyed at some of the higher (near 80Hz) frequencies creating a shaking. It's just a little unreal.

By the way, no need to go with MDF for mounting unless you need too (although I can't think why you'd need too). I've got mine mounted with 2x4s. They are mounted vertically (the direction of force is horizontal and parallel to the floor). This was simply for convenience mainly. It was the easiest place to mount them...inside the back of the couch.

6. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Hey Anthony, can you translate that to english? [​IMG] Just kidding of course, but is there something else that I should get instead that produce the desired effect? Is roll-off a negative thing? I suppose you're saying that I'm losing about 3 decibles at 50hz, but will that really matter when I can turn up the gain on the amplifier? Or does that result in distortion? I don't mean to be a pain, just a newbie at this. Thanks for all the help! Derek.

7. Derek, -3db at 50hz is part of being a 50hz crossover. your main speakers (assuming they have the right XO at 50hz too), will sum to 0db at 50hz. -3db is the sound change from cutting the power supplied to the speaker in half. -15db is cutting it in half, then in half again, then in half again etc 5 times.

8. DerekM

DerekM Agent

Ok, I think I get it...still, the only thing affected by the filter will be the shakers, right? It won't be affecting the sub whatsoever, isn't that correct? Wait...by Y-ing the LFE on my receiver, am I also cutting the .1 channel in half (or even making it weaker)? I hadn't thought about that.

9. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Derek,

Line level outputs (such as the LFE .1 channel) is a voltage reference, thus Y-ing it won't reduce the voltage level, only the current (Which doesn't matter, as amplifiers apply gain to the voltage)

The 50Hz Crossover should go between the receiver and the amp you are running to power the shakers. It will only affect what comes after the Crossover (The shakers, and the amp running them)

Have fun with all those explosions!