YET ANOTHER anti-Bose thread! :-D

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Ruth, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I just caught another Bose infomercial, this time for the Bose Wave Music System. They make it sound so great... then they forget to tell you that it costs ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! [​IMG]
    I got angry, needless to say.
    I wanted to start a thread that can give newbie HTFers out there BETTER OPTIONS compared to Bose (either similar performance/lower price or equal price/greter performance), preferably with similar ergonomics/simplicity. I know we've done a lot of Bose bashing - so I'd like you guys to put your money where your mouth is. [​IMG]
    Here's a list to get you guys started:
    Home Theater:
    Lifestyle 35 ($2,999)
    Lifestyle 28 ($2,499)
    LifeStyle 8 ($1,299)
    3-2-1 System ($899)
    Bookshelf Speakers:
    301 Series ($300/pair)
    901 Series ($1,299) (don't forget the equalizer for that telltale Bose Sound! [​IMG])
    Music/CD:
    Acoustic Wave System ($1,079)
    WaveRadio/CD ($499)
    Headphones:
    QuietComfort Noise-Cancelling Headphones ($299)
    Tri-Port Headphones ($150)
    Gaming:
    FreeStyle Gaming Speakers ($499)
    MediaMate Computer Speakers ($99)
    Get cracking! [​IMG]
    BTW: If anyone's feeling adventuresome and/or wants to kill some time, I'd love to get a WinAmp EQ file with an approximation of that infamous famous Bose re-Equalization. I just want to be sure I can hear what I'm missing WITHOUT spending oodles of money that I don't have. [​IMG]

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I was in a hh Greg store the other day when the Bose Man was teaching the store employees how to Demo the Bose stuff. The only way they can pull it off is that you are in the "near feild" if you look at one of those Bose Demos no speaker is over about 5 feet from your ear, stand outside the circle about 15-20 feet and listen again, then pick your favorite or about any concentional loadspeaker and get 15-20 feet away. No comparison.
    Pretty good day so far then I started thinking about this. . . Shame on you for posting this. . .

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

The truth is that any small speaker system will sound
    exceptional near-field.

I was at Walmart the other day in the elctronics section
    and they have a Phillips HTiB setup that is quite attractive
    in it's design. And I listened near field and I was very
    impressed.

Take that same system and put it in a 16' x 16' room with
    flat 8' ceilings and still be impressed (won't happen).

Bigger, is still better.... Small speakers work great if
    your listening area is about the size of a moderate bathroom.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Why does a new Bose thread get started at least 2 a week? What is the point? It's as bad as the 'my video game system is better than your's' threads. If someone wants to know about bose they can do a search, we don't need a new thread every few days saying the same thing over and over.

5. Brian Ruth

Mike:

I started this thread so people can get VIABLE ALTERNATIVES to Bose products. I thought it would be MORE HELPFUL than the indiscriminate bashing that takes place most of the time.

This is not just another "Bose Sucks" thread. I'm trying to enrich and enlighten the community here by hopefully culling some good buying suggestions from the more experienced HTFers out there.

And I still have yet to hear a recommendation.

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I say if someone is choosing a system purely based on
    unobtrusive design (lets face it the Bose system is at the
    very least, unobtrusive) I would steer them towards M&K's
    new line (forget the model number).

They are tiny cubes that employ a full range coaxial driver
    and a real sub.. And it's M&K it HAS to be good.. But cheap
    it is not.. I think the speakers and sub are just under 3
    grand!

7. Guy Usher

Bose is a perfect example of Name recognition, you have to agree that the original 901 was pretty trick for its day, I never cared for the "Bose Sound" but as long as they were they werent screwing you too much worse than anyone else there was room for them, after all that is why they make Cadillacs different colors, then came the little cubes which also were pretty trick little speakers, over priced, poor sound, but everyone is entitled to one right. Then without mercy they started ramming it down our throats with such a force, relentless, then the Wave radio. It is not Boses fault that they know how to market their product but i think more a problem with so many people becomming brainwashed to the point of becomming hostile about how good they are. (or think they are)
    At work today one of my coworkers who knew about my system was bragging to another co-worker about how good it sounded. Guess what the other co-worker said. . . "To be that good it must be Bose" I didnt know wether to fight or cry, I just said no you D3$%#^%$%^&&*$#@#$%^^of a B#@@@$%$%$ its not Bose. It is an "Emerson" that I got on sale at WalMart for 29.95. I think there will be a run on Emerson at WalMart tonight.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I hate Bose because they are so good at marketing, whenever you try to tell someone that they make crap, they look at you like *you're* the one off their rocker. [​IMG] So I always whip out the following:
    http://www.intellexual.net/boseframes.html

9. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I love these threads. Instead of people bickering about whose system is best, we can all unite and come together with a common "Bose Sucks" montra!!

And you college kids studying marketing, pay attention to what Bose has done. The general public (Joe six pack?)has tons of money and thinks Bose is king. Pretty sweet position to be in. We who research and study every move buying HT equipment are in the minority.

It's no different than other hobbies and interests. I'm sure our own RonP cringes everytime I pick up a six pack of Bud!

Joe

10. Brian Ruth

Quoth the Brett:
    I saw them on M&K's Web Site, and those speakers look pretty nice. Considering that you can get them for slightly more than a Bose Lifestyle System (though without the console unit), it seems somewhat viable. These things DO look a bit similar to the Bose towers, which makes me a bit antsy, but M&K seems like a good brand. I'll be interested to hear some feedback from a few other people on this brand.
    But I'd be interested in a HTiB solution that costs about 1/5 what the Bose costs yet delivers the same quality of sound. I think we covered it before, but covering it here again seems like a good idea.

11. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

I dont think we are necesarilly against BOSE per se, but more against how silly stupid uninformed people easily believe a bunch of horseshit. I think its more of an american lack of knowledge in general. We as americans need to get with it in all fields, not just audio. Look at how uninformed people are about letterboxing and aspect ratios...speakers...forget it. Joe and jane six pack will never get the difference. Just like in the 1980,s all my six pack neighbors thought their chevy cavalier was better than a honda or toyota of similar size etc. I think its more or an american "thing" about not caring about things.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Kevin- But you're forgetting right? That ignorance is bliss... [​IMG]

13. Guy Usher

Digital Cable, Bose Sound, 36 inch RCA, just doesnt get any better than this. . .
    You make more progress talking to a road map. For most people this is as good as it gets, I mean who ever heard of putting 6 speakers in your whole house much less one room, shoot everyone knows this aint stereo. I mean stereo is state of the art. Sub. . . what?
    You put shoulder pads and a helmet on it and then you get some attention. . .

14. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Brian,
    Honestly if we're talking HTiB's I don't know of one good
    HTiB from any of the better known mainstreamers that won't
    aniahlate a Bose Lifestyle..
    The Sony DAV Dream Systems, Onkyo, Kenwood, Yamaha you name
    it any of these HTiB deals sound at the very least "as good"
    Most "Much better" than Bose.
    Of course none of these small speakers will work in a 20'
    room with vaulted celings..
    No matter what Doktor Amar Bose says, big sound don't come
    from small speakers when placed in BIG rooms...
    Just the laws of physics, and Unless Amar has found a away
    around the theory of relativity then they still hold true I
    would think... [​IMG]

15. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Agent

16. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

You guys are FULL of Bose s**t.

How can you compare your puny girly man speakers to Bose? You and your fricken SVS subs. Ever hear of a bass module? You make me want to puke. How many of your speakers use revolutionary space age paper in their construction?

As Bose says, "Unleash the performance of your components...you get closer to true concert-hall spaciousness, movie-theater impact and at-the-game excitement from your components."

17. Brian Ruth

Hey Dana - I use revolutionary space age (toilet) paper to wipe my ass. When your puny ass speakers can match the power of mine, you can start talking. As of now though, you can take your space age paper and gag yourself with it.
    That is, unless you were kidding. [​IMG]
    HEY GUYS!
    How about some headphones recommendations?

18. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Yes Brian. I was kidding. Thought it was obvious.

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This is a great thread! [​IMG]
    BTW, I was thinking about swapping my Velodyne servo controlled 18" sub for a Bose bass module.
    Whadya think?