Yesterday's DVD Shopping Trip Broke My Wallet!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott-C, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Well, yesterday was a rough day for my wallet. My cousin and I went to BJ's to check if they had the Dirty Harry box set. They didn't, but we each picked up a DVD while we were there - he got Top Dog and I bought The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly. Then we went to Best Buy and each of us picked up a copy of the Dirty Harry box set. While we were there he picked up a copy of Planet of the Apes. Inspired by all the cool new DVDs that we had in hand, we then went a little...nuts. He found the Lethal Weapon Legacy 3-DVD box set and decided to buy it for me as a Christmas present, and also bought Patch Adams Ultimate Edition for himself. He was going to buy Airplane! but decided to see if it was cheaper online, so when we got home we got on the Net and ordered 2 copies of that (I've been wanting that one too) and he decided to tack Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? to the order.

He popped in PotA and once I got a glimpse of it, I decided I wanted it too. So...we got back in the car and went back to Best Buy!

All told, we purchased 21 DVDs yesterday - ouch! This must be why our wives flinch every time we get together.

Did anyone else feel the pain of many $$$ being sucked out of their wallets on DVDs yesterday?

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I was planning on getting just Apocalypse Now Redux and walked out of Media Play $150 poorer - they released a new batch of Shaw Bros martial arts titles so I had to pick them up.

3. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I would hold off on any more Shaw Bros. releases, as all of the films are getting a makeover in Hong Kong and will be released on DVD in vastly improved editions starting next year.
    Many current Shaw Bros. releases are not even legal. [​IMG]

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I didn't buy any DVD's yesterday, but I did stop by Burger King. Would anyone like to hear about that trip? [​IMG]

5. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

December 4th is going to put me in the red.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    You had me right up until Patch Adams Ultimate Edition ...
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, wow, someone actually bought a Patch Adams Ultimate Edition? Intentionally? Wow. Words fail me.

Of course, the same snide things could be said about my own shopping list yesterday (including the ACCIDENTAL purchase of the P&S Grinch---exchanged that baby in a hurry, let me tell you!)

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

To each his own, folks. To each, his own. [​IMG]

9. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I probably be posting this same topic soon, I'm going DVD shopping this weekend[​IMG]

10. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

I went to pick up The Grinch WS (only black cases available -- argh!), but saw Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I already had Rudolph and Frosty, so had to pick that one up to complete the Golden Book trilogy... I also saw Thumb Wars. It was such a low price, my morbid curiosity couldn't resist buying that one. Actually, Thumb Wars turned out to quite hilarious. I resisted the urge to buy POTA, because I didn't care for it much at the theatre. I saw that Michael Jackson's History Volume 1 had just been released, and had to pick up that and Volume 2. I checked out the back of Michael Jackson's Dangerous DVD, but didn't buy that one, because the content looked like a duplicate of his other two discs. So that's five from my B&M store. Amazon was also shipping my Alice in Wonderland (Broadway Version), Pet Shop Boys: Montage, and Doctor Who Dalek Boxset - so that's ten discs for November 20th.

11. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

"I probably be posting this same topic soon, I'm going DVD shopping this weekend"

Why? Isn't this board busy enough without people posting shopping lists? I could see if you were posting deals or bargains, or reviews of purchsed DVD's, but why do people just post lists of DVD's they purchased? I guess I could see if you stumbled across some long out-of-print disc, but just "everyday - common" titles?

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Rich,

I had read the article about that - the remastering of Shaw Bros titles,but have unable to find out any more info in it?

13. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Why would anyone buy DVDs from Media play? They are pretty much full price. Buy on line and SAVE $$$$$.

15. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

Re: Media Play. They do have Sale items that are sometimes priced lower than Best Buy. The newly released items are usually specially priced too. The one I visited was in a suburb of Atlanta.

16. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

17. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Just to clarify my original purpose behind starting this thread...I definitely didn't write it to bore anyone with my "shopping list" of DVDs on Tuesday. I can certainly understand why someone would question the reason for posting that. Allow me to explain that I had to include the list of what I (and my cousin) purchased as detailed background for the real purpose of the post, which was to express my perceived hilarity at the fact that my cousin and I purchased so many DVDs and spent so much $$$ in a mere few hours on Tuesday. I was curious to get a "reality check" from my comrades at HTF to see if others had similar situations (hence the question at the bottom of my post "Did anyone else feel the pain of many $$$ being sucked out of their wallets on DVDs yesterday?").
    Thanks to those of you who have posted your stories and can relate to this. Apologies to those who feel this hasn't added value or humor to their day. [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I ended up getting 3 of the $14.88 2-packs at Wal-Mart, now I've got a dilemma as to how I'm gonna store the damn things- I can't store them as separate discs because it says "2-Pack Promo" where the barcode would normally be, so I don't know if I'll be keeping them in that cardboard thing or just next to each other on the shelf or what.

19. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

20. StephenC

StephenC Stunt Coordinator

I went shopping at Media Play($3 off all dvds)but stopped soon after because the lady that was ranting and raving why PotA was only available in widescreen gave me one of the worst headaches I ever had!Thanks lady![​IMG]