1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yes or no: There are already too many streaming services?

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Cranston37, Jul 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    @Cranston37 May I change title and make this the thread to discuss the possibility that there are too many incompatible streaming choices?

2. Message #42 of 51 Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I will allow it this one time ;)

You also might want to change the NBC one to Peacock while you're at it...

dvdclon and Sam Posten like this.
  3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Robert Crawford and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
  5. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I really wish someone had put together the equivalent of Apple Music or Spotify for movies - where you could get nearly everything under one hub.

Vegas 1 likes this.
  6. Atari

Atari Agent

Edward
    Content owners are fooling themselves that they can continue to get the rich cable money in the streaming age by starting their own services. We have all longed for the ability to pay only for the channels we cared about. There should and will be failures for content that only appeals to a few.

7. Message #47 of 51 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    I don't know about there being too many subscription streamers (Netflix, Disney +, Prime, Criterion, etc.). All these options are kind of exciting to have honestly. Better than going to the video store. But I also don't know, because so many of the big new ones haven't even launched yet, so it's hard to say for sure.

But I what I'm shocked about is the proliferation of the ad-supported streamers. (IMDB, etc.) More show up every day. Many of them carry the same movies - which if they are ad-supported it makes sense - the filmmaker essentially tells them all "here's my old movie - give me some of those advertising nickels and you can show it for a month".

Even worse are the bottom tier ad supported services which show those D, E and even F-list horror movies loaded with randomly placed ads. Who is watching that dreck and suffering through the relentless ads in 2019?

MatthewA and Sam Posten like this.
  8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Not me. I was hoping streaming would be a refuge from that. I guess not.

David Deeb likes this.
  9. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    We joined Netflix in 1999, making our family one of the early adopters. Streaming started in c. 2006 iirc. Anyway, for a long time I thought one streaming service was plenty. But then Amazon essentially started giving us Amazon Prime video with significant original programming for "free" starting around 2012, since the included shipping for us already covers the c.$120 annual cost given how much we buy from them.

I did join CBS All Access for several months to watch Star Trek: Discovery, but since my family overall doesn't like that show we killed that long ago and might not rejoin even for Picard or whatever else they put on. Or maybe we'll join for a month or two to binge, and then cancel again. This service is expensive for what you get, and I wonder how they are doing in terms of costs and revenue.

I need to learn more about Apple TV, but right now I don't feel like there are any programs on Apple TV that I have to watch. And at some point when is there time? Even at $5 a month Apple TV seems like too much and a waste, and ditto with all of the other minor services.

But as a life long fan of Disney movies as well as Star Wars, there's no way I wouldn't subscribe to that service. I'm expecting Disney to deliver a significant number of original programs of high quality, but we'll see what actually happens. Right now at less than $5 a month for the first three years this service seems like a really good deal. But if it goes to $16 a month like Netflix, I might need to think about it. But if the Star Wars programs are good I'm going to be hooked almost no matter what the cost.

So we now have three streaming services, and my guess is that many other people have the same three. Like many other people I'm guessing that Netflix, Amzn, and Disney+ are going to be the Big Three of streaming, and everyone else is going to struggle, even if they have pockets as deep as Apple. Is Google going to get into the biz too lol?

So yes, to answer the question of this thread, I think there are too many streaming services, and in the long run I doubt all of them can survive. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that CBS is going to be one of the ones to struggle, because I feel they've botched two of their crown jewels—Star Trek and Twilight Zone, which are both weak shows in their new and expensive incarnations.

Atari likes this.
  10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  11. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Extra

Bill
    Aggregator services really are the next logical step. All the lower-tier silos struggling for a subscriber-base would benefit from consolidating into a single service where they share revenue.

Someone in the TechDirt article suggested an aggregator that cycles you through a different service per month for $14.99. I can see how that'd work logistically and think it's pretty smart - as you can also cycle through the big bois and keep content fresh.