Yes or no: Does it make sense to purchase an analog television any longer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Last April, when I purchased my Sony KV-32FV26 WEGA as an interim set (I wanted the raster-compression feature), I wasn't sure if it was wise to spend $1,400 (and that was a "discount") on an NTSC-only display. But the Zardoz DVD was coming up, and I wanted something new to watch it on.
    Now, I'm seeing ads for Toshiba 40H80s discounted down to $1,500.
    And in the latest Widescreen Review, a guest columnist (a custom installer) says it's unwise to spend more than a grand on an NTSC-only set.
    So, the question is ...
    If you were in the market now for a home theater-worthy television, would you still consider an analog set? Would it be unwise to spend anything over a few hundred dollars on an NTSC-only display?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    IMHO, For HT, spend the extra cash and get a Digital-Ready TV... for normal vewing in a family room or bedroom, an analog television would be sufficient...

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Anyone with any DVD's will be well served by an HDTV, if only to take advantage of the widescreen and anamorphic pictures. Plus, with the wide availability of network dramas being broadcasted in widescreen, a 4:3 television will soon be more of a hindrance for normal viewing.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would be reluctant to buy one as a main display device and would only buy one as a secondary display for a VCR hookup.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1[​IMG]
    ------------------
    My Favourite Movie

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

For a HT set, I would say no. The cost difference b/t analog and digital ready sets is not huge anymore plus prog. scan DVD players are getting to be downright affordable.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Money is still money. Dropping a grand or so on a TV that will be obsolete before its shelf life expires is foolish. Put that money towards a DTV. It's worth the upgrade.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have this 5 year old crappy Zenith RPTV (totally low-hi in the video department), and I swear I keep praying silently for this RPTV to DIE DIE DIE so I could justify the purchase of a kick-ass RPTV that would allow me to benefit from 16x9 DVDs and HDTV, but alas, I bought the RPTV that would not DIE! Ack!

8. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

Well Jack, after you land that dream job I'd think more in terms of the 56H80.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Patrick, have you tried taking your RPTV for a walk... like in the rain? Or helping it play out on the balcony after you've loosened the railings? Actually, I think it's better to do the deed on a train, because you'll qualify for Double Indenity then!

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Right now I'll be sticking to analogue. In Toronto HDTV is about 10 years from being useful. So my next tv MAY be HDTV "ready", but as long as it plays Pro scan discs I'll be happy.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Looks like I may be alone here, but an analogue monitor is perfectly acceptable as a centrpiece for a HT set up. You said you have a VVega, so do I, I assume you have it connected with either S-Video or Component video with the 16X9 option on it, you don't think that dvd's look absolutly gorgeaous on it?
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!