YES on dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Dec 10, 2001.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

Popped into the new Ultimate Electronics this weekend and noticed they were playing a YES concert on all the Plasma Flat Screens. Anyone know if there is a YES DVD out, or was this some other HD content? It looked to be a recent performance (within last several years). Looked fantastic don’t know about the sound quality since it was competing with about two dozen other programs blasting from other areas of the store.

2. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

I have two: "House of Yes: Live from the House of Blues"

and "Keys to Ascension". Both have DD5.1 sound.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I am betting that it is the House of Blues performance you are talking about. I don't own it yet, but Jeff Ulmer (an HTF member) gives a review here.
    http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=335
    The only other title that I could thing of would be Keys of Ascencion (1996).
    Good luck!

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You'd think that with Steven Soderbergh's current wave of success, someone would wise up and re-release "Yes - 9012LIVE" on DVD. Somebody filched my VHS and I miss it.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There's also An Evening of Yes Music, but good luck trying to find it, and be prepared to spend some big bucks if you do.

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Yes is probably the most prolific group on DVD. I believe there are 9 DVD's if you count the ultra expensive ABWH release, which I think is a R0 Japanese disc.

One of my best friends is a Yes fanatic and has them all and he lives in O'Fallon, not to far from you.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There are a couple other Yes discs out there, but they are out of print. Image released Live In Philadelphia in 1999 and Yessongs in 1997, which has a pretty muddy transfer. I believe both are out of print. I also did a review of Keys To Ascension .
    For another rarity, Image also released the Anderson Wakeman Bruford Howe disc, which like Live In Philadelphia, I neglected to buy when they were available (priced at only $45CAN at the time).

8. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

It was probably House of Yes. They play that all the time on HDNet and it is out on DVD.

9. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Which Yes DVDs are the preferred one?

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

11. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

12. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

13. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

I own four Yes DVD's:
    Yessongs
    Keys to Ascension
    House of Yes
    ABWH - An Evening of Yes Music Plus (Image)
    All are worth owning (except maybe Keys to Ascension), but ABWH is my favorite because the image and sound are both excellent, and it includes my favorite lineup of Yes (except for Chris Squire, though - what a shame. On this show, Jeff Berlin plays bass, although I believe Tony Levin played for most of the ABWH tour. Man I would've loved to see that.) They play many of the best Yes songs, but also play a few ABWH songs (which I like, but if you are not familiar with them you may not enjoy).
    For overall quality, House of Yes is the best, but it is not my favorite lineup (Igor Khoroshev? Please.) Definitely worth picking up though as there is a good selection of classic songs, although the smaller venue of the House of Blues hinders, IMHO.
    Keys to Ascension is a big pile of crap. Great lineup (while not my fave, I consider this the classic lineup). Great songs. But it is destroyed by horrible video overlays and effects and everything else a third grader could throw at it. You never feel like you are really watching a concert. I kept hoping the effects would disappear after a while, but even two hours into the show they were still there. I was so looking forward to this disc but was extremely disappointed.
    Yessongs, my sentimental favorite. My favorite lineup (with Squire!) back in the peak of their popularity when their best albums were still new. The video quality is not very good, the sound is not great, but the disc is well worth it to see this band in its heyday (and to see Rick Wakeman's glorious cape!).
    I did not buy Live in Philadelphia because it was only 40 minutes and was similar to some of these. I wouldn't worry if you missed it.
    -Brett

14. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree that the video effects really screwed up Keys, but the classic lineup (though I'm a Bruford fan myself), song lineup and extras are great to have.
    As for House of Yes, Igor tries, but there is no match for the caped one. [​IMG] If only we could get footage from the Close To The Edge or Tales of Topographic Oceans tour - that would be awesome.
    I saw AWBH at our Coloseum concert bowl, basically the stage on the (hockey) goal line facing the boards. That was great, about 30 feet away from the stage. The Union tour would also be cool, especially in quad, since that was an "in the round" tour, and had all the key players.

16. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jeff, do you mean the 1991 "Union" tour? I saw Yes during that tour, and was very impressed. There is a DVD, but it's region X (whatever Japan is). I have it, it's NTSC with an SCMS copy protected PCM track. A fine DVD.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Brett,

I have the ABWH LaserDisc and it's stunning. Levin played most of the tour, true, but for a while he was sick and in the hospital! Berlin played with Bruford in some Jazz bands in the late 70s/early 80s, so when ABWH needed a bass player they called Bruford's old buddy Jeff. If you watch the show you can see Jeff and Bill having a great time playing together. Jeff Berlin got the call three days before the taping, he learned all those Squire and Levin (for the ABWH stuff) bass lines in three days. A very impressive achievement if you ask me (I'm a bass player). Berlin is a top notch bassist, and was definitely in good company for that show.

19. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, it would be the Union tour...d'oh!