What's new

Yes on DVD Audio (1 Viewer)

Richard Fernandez

Stunt Coordinator
It's not Fragile, but it's a start.
Magnification DVD-A
Magnification will be released in the 5.1 DVD-A (DVD Audio) format by Rhino on May 28. The album presents the 10-song album in two new Advanced Resolution versions: DVD–A 5.1 surround and a 192k stereo track playable on DVD-A players. There is also a Dolby Digital Surround track plus a 48k stereo track compatible with all DVD Video players.
The album will include the following:
Three extra tracks: a 5.1 video of the title track performed live, plus a live recording of "Gates Of Delirium" and an unreleased studio version of "Homeworld".
New liner notes by Larry Groupé, the award winning composer and conductor who provided the orchestrations for every song on the album.
On screen lyrics to all of the songs.
ROM content: If placed in a computer with a DVD drive, you can e-mail a Quicktime movie created by Yes to support the release of the album.
Video interviews with all the band members on the making of the album.
Magnification themed screen saver for Windows
:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It's no Fragile, but at this point, I'll take just about anything new on DVD-Audio. Things sure have been slow on the DVD-Audio front lately.
Now if they would only release 90125 on DVD-Audio. I bet "Leave It" would kill in surround sound. :)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I have this album, and listened to it once. I was not compelled by much of it, except the last song was a nice touch. Should I give this album more of a chance? Anyone really like this album?

The last album that I really liked was Keys to Acsension. Yes, I love the live stuff, but I usually watch the DVD for that. However there was new studio material on both sets that I combined on one CD, and I really like it.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Actually "Close to the Edge" was supposed to come out on DVD-Audio this year, but from what I understand they can't find the original multi-track tapes so I think they are actually planning to release "Fragile" instead.

Yes, I would also like to see both '90125' and 'Big Generator' on DVD-Audio (or SACD) since I have fond memories of those albums - being that I saw Yes on both those tours from the second and first rows respectively at the Continental Airlines Arena (Brendan Byrne Arena then).

"Fragile", though, would fit the bill nicely, as it was one of the first "real" rock albums I purchased after going through my Three Dog Night and Partridge Family phase when I was a 10 years old, when I really and truly thought the words to 'Roundabout' were "mamas come out of the sky" instead of "mountains....".

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I had never been particularly fond of Gates of Delirium until I saw them perform it live a few years ago. This really might be cool to have just for that.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael_T,

I saw Yes in concert in 1995 when they were on-tour for Talk. They gave an excellent show. Talk isn't their best album, but I like it. By the way, I didn't see Yes at a major arena. I saw them at a relatively small amphitheater in Indiana. Things changed for Yes over the years, I guess.

Michael Hein,

I am not a big fan of multi-channel music that puts one in the middle of the band because it rarely works well in my opinion. It lacks cohesiveness and instruments are placed seemingly at random. However, "Leave It" would be perfect for a middle-of-the-band implementation of surround sound.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I bought the latest album, magnification, back in december and I was kind of lackluster about it initially. Then I popped it into my cd player in my car and I really like it. I think it's a great album. But then again, I also think Tormato is a great album. Why people think that album is not good is beyond me.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DVD-V 48kHz PCM is a nice gesture for those who have not upgraded their gear yet. You can hear it in a format that is not a downgrade from the redbook CD. This (or whichever higher resolution 2-channel PCM DVD-V compatible format they can fit without creating space or cost issues) is the way all DVD-A titles should handle backward compatibility.

Regards,

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I 2nd the motion that Tormato is great. A friend of mine in college had the LP and the CD was not available in the US at that time. I paid $38 for the Japanese import. I've since bought the remaster, but I got an awful lot of play out of the import throughout college.

I'll definitely give the new one another chance.

Fragile on DVD-A? Really? Wahoo.

Ken -- I agree on the 2-ch PCM issue. Although I enjoy the 5-ch DD mixes (I still have no DVD-A player), all of the DVD-A's I currently have were originally 2-ch albums. If we have to choose one mix or another, I'd rather have the original (unless I already have the CD, maybe).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tormato? Man, you guys are hardcore. That is definitely when they lost me. Silent Wings of Freedom is decent, but the rest... *shudder*

I do not own any Yes after Going For the One, and I only keep that one around for Awaken. However, I may get Keys to Ascension.

They really belong in the 70s.

NP: Miles Davis, Tribute to Jack Johnson, CD

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hey I'm not a big Yes fan but I like "Drama".

I have a LaserDisc of Yes videos that was released in the late 80s that's a real hoot. All the 90125 stuff, Drama stuff, I think the oldest song is "Don't Kill The Whale". Funny stuff, lots and lots of mullets.

NP: Bruce Cockburn: The Trouble With Normal

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Ah Drama. I like it. Partially because I think Trevor Horn is a great sport. He did his very best on that album, and then when 90125 rolled around he volunteered to produce it for virtually nothing with Anderson back on lead vocals, because he just really liked the band. That's very cool, IMO.

Ah, Don't Kill the Whale. What album is that on? Tormato might not be as even as Going for the One, but it still has some very good stuff on it. I love Circus of Heaven, Madrigal, Onward. Heck, I love Release, Release and the rest too. DKTW doesn't really fit on the album musically, but it's an essential Yes Moment, methinks.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Because of Dave's experience I've given Magnification more of a chance and I've really come around. Sure it's still no Fragile, but it's better than some recent stuff (never got into The Ladder for instance).
So sign me up for this DVD-A.
Now if they would only release 90125 on DVD-Audio.
Heck, I'd settle for a remastered CD (my CD don't sound so good), but yeah I'd buy this on DVD-A as well. How about a disc with 90125 DVD-A on one side and DVD-V of 9012 Live on the other? As long as I'm dreaming :D
NP: King Crimson - Discipline

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
NP: King Crimson - Discipline
Jeff, you are my new best friend.

Anyway, I've seen Close to the Edge listed at a couple of websites on DVD-A and have never seen anything on Fragile.

Close to the Edge in surround would be perfect.

NP: Mendelssohn, 4th Symphony & incidental music to A Misdummer Night's Dream, George Szell and Cleveland Orchestra, SACD

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Sweet. Then listen to your friend and listen to Tormato again! Your comment that they lost you makes me sad. :D
Yeah, there was a thread in here somewhere about the new Peter Gabriel remasters, which interest me because though another of my best friends has always been a fan, I've never bought any. Anyway, on the referred website there was a picture of the King Crimson albums and I said to myself, "Hey, I have those" so I dug them out today.
Not sure what the general consensus is, but I believe I prefer Fragile to Close To The Edge. I'd have to think about that. I'd buy either in a second, though.
NP: John Paul Jones - Zooma

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
The Yes website has Close To the Edge as being pushed back til summer. Magnification is supposed to street May 28th, and a live concert dvd of their recent symphonic tour is coming out June 18th.

This DVD release is a double DVD. Disc 1 will contain 157 minutes of concert footage

while disc 2 will contain 37 minutes of bonus features, including A documentary titled

"Dreamtime" and the “Don’t Go” Video. Audio options include Dolby Digital Stereo, 5.1 and

DTS.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, Chris. I'll add the new DVD to my Keys To Ascension and House of Yes discs. $$$. :frowning: ;)
Mike --
It's hard for me to think of Yes as a 70s-only band, because I didn't start listening to them until 87 (Big Generator) and then I worked backwards. If you can't listen to Tormato which admittedly is... unique, try the Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (Levin) album that came out in 89. My buddy Dave (actually, the Peter Gabriel fan) bought it for me and said something to the effect of, "You like Big Generator; this is real Yes..." And he was right. That is the album that made me a Yes fan. That is the album that made me buy Fragile. Now I have every album they've ever made.
I've bookmarked the DGM site. I think I'm going to get the PG discs. All of em? Well, yeah...
NP: Copland's 3rd Symphony - Minnesota Orchestra

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Both the last 2 releases by Yes are in my opinion pretty good. The Ladder and Magnification are fine Yes albums.

The new one has been getting alot of play in my car.

In fact the band should be touring NY this Summer and I plan on seeing them hopefully at Jones Beach.

JohnG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks