What's new

YES Network to be available for all Cablevision subscribers (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
YES Network statement regarding ruling of Arbitration Tribunal

There was an arbitration ruling last night that will put YES in all Cablevision homes from what I've been hearing. This is the only link I could find and it's not very detailed, but it's great news if it's true for anyone like me that's held out on paying for the station and the cable box. Now we've got to get the other two channels that we lost last year, MSG and FSNY, back on the regular Cablevision package.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
If this is true, it'll make my grandfather very happy. He recently had to have his lower right leg removed, and is confined to a wheelchair, and everytime he wants to watch the YES network, has to move in to the bedroom to do so, as it's the only one with an addressable box.

With this, he'll be able to watch it on any TV in the house and save some money to boot. IF you hear anything more, be sure to post it in this thread :).

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
This ruling is supposed to have an impact here in Minnesota regarding the newly formed Victory Sports channel the Minnesota Twin have put together.

Victory is asking for about $2.25 per subscriber on the basic tier of a cable/satellite package. As of right now the 2 major cable providers Comcast/Time Warner and Satellite providders Directv and Dish have turned down the proposals from Victory.

I'm sure now Victory will not get near what they wanted per sub and probably a lot less then the $1.93 per sub the Yankees received.

Paul

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
With Yes now part of basic cable, all Cablevision customers will see basic rates go up by $0.95 whether they like the Yankees or not so the same thing may appen if their is a similar ruling for victory. I'll the 95 cents over the $10 I would have had to pay before the ruling any day though.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Daniel,
I read an article in my local paper today indicating that they would be including YES, MSG, and Fox sports in the basic expanded. the rate will go up .95, which is better than the 1.95 each we were paying for MSG and FSN. I don't care much for YES, but it's there now if I want it!

Good news indeed for Mets and Yankee fans!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I just checked and all three channels are there. Even with the .95 increase, much better than $5 for all three plus another $4 for the box. Just in time for the Knicks (hopeful) playoff run and baseball season!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course, it also means that everyone is paying for them, whether they want it or not. I believe I read that YankeeNets/YES will be pulling in $185M/year on subscriber fees alone - before advertising and actually selling tickets to the games. I must admit, if circumstances were to require me to live in New York, I would, as a Red Sox fan, find that galling. Sure, I know that it's partly being made up for by those kids from New York who are going to school in Boston and paying for NESN with their cable package, but even Mets fans must grimace at the idea of helping to support the Yankees. :)

Not that I'm saying these channels shouldn't be on basic cable - from a purely selfish perspective, I hated needing a cable box when NESN was on a higher tier. And it's no wonder the Twins are trying to get in on this, too, and the Mets probably would if they weren't locked into MSG until doomsday (are any other teams starting their own network?). From a sports business perspecitve, though, I wonder when the other teams will start to cry foul.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Mets fans might actually save more out of this than Yankees fan, since Mets games were on both MSG and FSNY, whereas Yankees games are only on YES. While I realize cable rates go up for everybody, it's nothing new for Cablevision, who are always raising their rates anyway. :thumbsdown:

I'm just glad I held out for the last 2 years and for me the .95 is worth it to see the Yankees, Rangers and Knicks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks