YES Network/DirectTV?NY Yankees

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Harrison, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

I currently have DirectTV with the Total Choice HBO package. I live in NJ so my local sports network is MSG, which broadcasts the NY Knicks, NY Rangers, etc. MSG used to broadcast the majority of NY Yankees games (except for when they are on FOX), but now that the Yankees have their own channel (YES Network) I would prefer to have that in lieu of MSG. So far the YES Network is exclusive to DirectTV (according to the Yankees website) but when I called DirectTV they seemed clueless. After the woman put me on hold for about 20 minutes to speak to her supervisor she told me that I would have to pay an extra $10 per month to subscribe to their sports package to get the YES Network. I explained to her that I live in the NY area and receive all NY stations so would it be possible to substitute the YES Network for MSG. This confused her even more and she stated since they wont begin offering the YES Network until March 19th that I would have to call back then. Has anyone run into anything similar? Does my request seem outrageous? Am I just wasting my time and should I just suck it up and pay the extra $10 a month? It just seems pretty unfair to me.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I think Steinbrenner is trying to have YES offered as a premium channel, so that he can make money off every end of it - advertising, cable/satellite system fees, and subscription money from the viewers. It's not a bad business plan; here in New England, NESN (the model for YES) worked that way for years before going to basic cable.

As to it being "unfair"... Well, you are asking them to substitute a premium channel for a basic/a-la-carte one, so I don't figure it'll happen. It does sort of suck to have to pay extra for your baseball (I freakin' hated having to hook a cable box up during the summer because NESN was scrambled), but the Yankees obviously figure it's what the market will bear.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I think they probably won't let you switch because MSG is a more basic channel and YES is being treated as a premium channel by DirectTV, which is not what the regular tri-state cable providers are doing.

So far the only cable provider without a deal is mine, Cablevision. On Time Warner and RCN it will be a basic cable channel and their rates will go up about $2 a month. From what I heard on Mike and the Mad Dog yesterday, if you have DirectTV, YES is available but it's gonna cost you.

4. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

I'm VERY pissed off as it is about the switch from WABC 770 radio to WCBS 880. I'm not sure if Sterling/Kay are still going to host it (doubtful, seeing as they are/were employed by MSG; maybe they got picked up by YES)...but even if they are on the radio, it won't be nearly as entertaining -- their style FAR better suits the talkradio format of WABC than the newsradio format of WCBS.
    My usual 90% listening average *will drop* if the game's radio format has changed at all; count me out COMPLETELY if S/K are gone.
    I'll still be a Yankee fan til the day I die though [​IMG]
    Yanks in 2k2...GO YANKS!

5. Daniel Kikin

Looks like Sterling is staying on the radio and Kay is doing pre- and post-game coverage on YES. The worst part about the radiothing is that Sterling will be with Charlie Steiner from ESPN, possibly the most boring broadcaster ever. It's gonna be tough trying to get through their games if you don't have the YES network, which I won't get until Cablevision signs a deal with them.
    Either way, being a Yankee fan gets more expensive every year. The price we pay for October. [​IMG]

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

7. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Thank you VERY much, Crawdaddy; I tend to skip the off-season news, so I missed this.

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Any deal Struck with Dishnetwork? I am gonna be real pissed if I cant get the Yankees anymore when I live only 45mn max from the stadium!

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Jason,

I didn't take exception to your view about Steinbrenner wanting to make more money for starting his own network which I think most of us would agree to in that regard. However, I disagree with your implication that Steinbrenner was trying to make YES a premium channel in order to make more revenue.

Crawdaddy

11. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Dishnetwork not having Yes is like the old Cablevison/Sportschannel debates from years ago...anyone who can sighn with YES will...there the Yankees dammit!

Kay and Sterling blow...Id take the Mets Gary Thorn anyday...the most exciting radio announcer ever.

12. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I subscribe to Dishnetwork so my hope is Dish/Direct do their thing by summer.

Meanwhile, OTA-TV will be split between FOX & CBS. I was one of the lucky ones with the home Yank games in HD till last October. Ahh, the good ol' days. At least they'll be in HD when playing the Mets at Shea.

13. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Guys, guys, guys...You're missing a very simple way around this problem. You won't need YES, you wont' have to listen to John "Let Me Tell You About My Boring Life Between Every Pitch of the Game" Sterling or Charlie Steiner, you won't have to listen to Suzyn "Georgie Girl" Waldman cry and whine whenever somebody says something bad about her Yankee buddies...The solution is simple...

Join the Dark Side and become a Mets fan like me! Whooho, baseball is back. Oh, baby! :b

14. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure that DirecTV only will charge extra for YES if you live outside the NYC DMA. That is... it will be an extra Regional Sports Network to those who don't live in the vicinity of NYC.

To those of us who do live near NY, then we'll get it as soon as it goes live!

Play Ball!

Jim

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

16. Daniel Kikin

Hate to tell you this Richard but I heard Bob Murphy is retiring from Mets radio. I'm a Yankee fan but my friend who's a die-hard Mets fan said that a guy from the SF Giants radio team is replacing him and he's supposed to be very good. He's also bummed out about it but is happy that they got a very able replacement.

17. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Actually, Murph will do about 60-80 games or so on the radio this year. The guy coming in is Ted Robinson, and yes, he's good. He did SF Giants games and also does Stanford football. He'll also be doing some TV. Murph is a legend, but his time has come. Between his coughing and garbled speech over the last few years - and the obvious tension between himself and Gary Cohen - I think it's high time he rode into the sunset. Maybe he can do pre-game shows or something if the Mets still want to keep him around as part of their heritage. Don't get me wrong, I love Murph. It's been a joy listening to him on the radio over the years, but there comes a time for everyone to step aside and I think he even realizes that time has come.

As for Thorne, sure he overdoes it every once in a while, but he's the most enjoyable listen to me. Always sounds energized, quick with the humor and very knowledgeable. Cohen is also outstanding. Eddie Coleman is boooorrring.

Oh, but give me Murph on his worst day over Sterling.

18. Daniel Kikin

FYI - I heard a commercial for DirectTV on the radio yesterday and it sounded like YES will come as part of the basic cable package for NY area subscribers. I don't know much about their packages but now it sounds like it won't cost extra.

Also, I read in The Post that Cablevision might shift about 60-80 Mets games to MSG over the summer so the channel doesn't fall off the face of the earth after April when the Knicks and probably the Rangers don't make the playoffs.

19. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

>>Guys, guys, guys...You're missing a very simple way around this problem. You won't need YES, you wont' have to listen to John "Let Me Tell You About My Boring Life Between Every Pitch of the Game" Sterling or Charlie Steiner, you won't have to listen to Suzyn "Georgie Girl" Waldman cry and whine whenever somebody says something bad about her Yankee buddies...The solution is simple...

20. Robert Crawford

Robert