Yes Network and Dish Network....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Mar 13, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Does anyone have any idea what the status of these two are? You ask Dish, they blame Yes. You call Yes, they blame Dish.

Hopefully, with Cablevision and Yes finally settling their differences. Maybe this will get solved.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Probably wont, Yes is asking for big dollars, Dish don't want to pay big dollars hence no carry.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Even though I'm a big Yankees fan I really can't blame DISH for the stance they have taken on this. The YES network presented some, to me, very unreasonable demands that would have forced DISH to assess everyone for YES (even those who wouldn't be able to get the service) and Charlie E. balked at the whole scheme. If YES relents and allows DISH to treat YES as a premium service I'd gladly pay a monthly fee to add it to my arsenal.

As it is, I added DirecTV at (now) $33.99/month just to watch the Yankees. If DISH is allowed to add YES as a premium service (I don't see any other way it could be offered under present conditions) I'd drop DirecTV like a hot potato. As it is, I'm going to see what the Cablevision "plan" for YES is. If I can get a basic set-up I'll switch the DirecTV connection to Cable to get the Yankee games. As a bonus I'd be able to get some local public access channels, and even Cable Modem connectivity which right now is very fast in my area.

At no time will I consider dropping DISH since I love the service, the equipment, and, of course, all the HDTV goodies.

This whole YES/DISH/Cablevision/DirecTV issue has a real stink to it. Lots of people were left with absolutely no option to watch the Yankees. I understand that there were people who were literally in the shadow of Yankee Stadium and who had been Yankee fans for many years who couldn't subscribe to the games even if they wanted them! Boo. Hiss.

4. Jerome Grate

Robert, at least that's an option for you, where I live, upstate N.Y. they don't offer digital cable with cable modem access (well yet) and they don't anticipate doing it anytime soon. What a bummer, Yankees this season, Digital cable with Dolby Digital Music Stations, and cable download speeds, man I'd drop Dish Network in a heartbeat.

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Vin,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I'm aware that I can get the Cable Modem service for $10 more if I don't also subscribe to Cablevision (I'm thinking of this although I still get very reliable Earthlink DSL from Covad at a consistent 1.3-1.4 Meg download speed without any worry about eventual bandwidth clog that comes with the cable topology.) I should have made it clearer that I meant that if the pricing allows for a minimal cable install (without a lot of premium stuff that I don't need because it would duplicate my DISH programming) then ordering cable at a $10 savings for cable modem access may only be a few dollars more and provide me with the local access stations (which I used to use for community news, road conditions, local items, etc.).

And Jerome, I think we are both in Westchester, right? If so, there is absolutely no way that our local Cablevision competes with DISH for clarity of signal and, most importantly - High Definition offerings. I suffered with Cablevision and its spotty service ever since it took over Media One and in my area the service, signal, response, etc. is abysmal - on a good day! I'd never go back to them.

My two cents.

7. Jerome Grate

Robert, I'm no longer in Westchester, work in the city reside in middle Dutchess County (phew what a hike every day). I would have ordered Optimum T.V. in a heart beat if I still lived there.