What's new

Yes DVD Rot? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My Yes at the House Of Blues DVD, which used to work fine, is suddenly unreadable! It sat on my shelf for probably a year (yeah yeah, shame on me!), and when I pulled it down the other day, my DVD player (Pioneer Elite DV-05) said "disc unreadable". My laptop DVD-ROM couldn't read it either. Nor could my PlayStation 2! I tried cleaning it several times (with a cloth, not one of those special disc cleaners. I might try one though.) I haven't had this problem with any other disc. Has it happened to anyone else?

Also, there are several companies listed on the case- whom do you guys think I should contact about maybe getting it replaced? BMG?

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I looked through this disc yesterday and experienced

severe pixelation and halting between chapters 5 and 10!

The chapters before and after played fine.

This disc used to play without any problem before.

I also have a Pioneer player, DV-F727, but I have not

tried it anywhere else.

Could this be helped by cleaning the disc with some special

disc cleaner kit or is it just dvd rot?

Jeff

Supporting Actor
The only reason to clean the disc is if it's dirty. And they really have to be dirty for DVD players to not read them. This certainly sounds like "rot" to me.

Jeff

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Try cleaning the disc with hot water and washing-up liquid. Never failed me yet. Sometimes a cloth ain't good enough. :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I would dispute the "really dirty" comment; I've had several nonfunctioning discs, as have others, that appeared to be spotless, but worked fine after cleaning. So give that a shot before trying to see if there is a replacement possibility.

I would expect BMG is the entity to contact if there really is a problem, or you could take it back to the place where you bought it if you still have the receipt.

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact same disc and it is unreadable too. I recently purchased a new one and i think it was a design flaw because the new one looks different but plays fine. The cases were different too.

Same thing happened to my disc about 7 months ago. Couldn't play it on a 5 of my different DVD players. Didn't know what was wrong at the time. So now I know what DVD rot is. This blows.. :frowning:
Stephen Teffner

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
I recently had the same problem with my 6th Day DVD...the bottom of the DVD was spotless (all of my disks are) but yet there seemed to be pixelation throughout especially during the opening XFL game..I picked up another disk (non SE)so far there havent been any problems. Let's see what happens...

-D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My Fair Lady (WAMO) now hiccups/freezes at layer change on all DVD players I've tried (Sony, Panny, Pioneer). Also Wonka (new WS version) pixellates on the same place on my Panny Rp91. Even traded it in and the new copy had a pixellation just a second later.
QC is an issue. And of course, WB hasn't responded to any emails or the one snail mail I sent them.
No wonder Ron put them at the bottom of the list. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I work for a music/video retailer and have gotten some complaints about this disc not working anymore, when they had played fine when they were new. Coincidence?

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Is it just me or have WAMO's discs begun to look

cheaply manuactured? Around the center of the discs,

there's a jagged ring of aluminum, sometimes there

are what look like blotches of undercured glue around

the inner ring, the feel of the center ring is off

(like the plastic material is inferior), and the

glue there makes a strange crinkling sound as

the disc is put back in its hub. Even though the

discs appear to play fine now, it doesn't bode well

for the future, and I'm inclined now to avoid WAMO

discs whenever possible, like buying BBC titles from

Region 2.

Here's a question. Could rot possibly be reversed

by some kind of process possible in the future, like

by injecting new aluminum into the disc and resealing

the bond? Fantasy now, maybe, but a technique for

restoring rotted discs (especially OOP ones) should be

looked into. Especially if this is going to be a

constant problem with the optical media format.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I agree that discs are starting to look cheap where the center has small cracks and where it looks like glue spilling out around the ring.

I just hope this isn't a sign of faulty DVDs in a few years.

ScottL

Agent
I also disagree with the "dirty" comment above. While it sounds like that this is not the the case in this example, wiping a disc with no detectable dirt and or smudges has worked for me in every case. There was a thread here a year or so ago that many people had similiar problems, but most tended to be with dvd cases that were paper board based.

Your mileage may vary,

Scott

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
hopefully someone from warner brothers'll read this thread and they'll change the way they make their discs so this problem'll not happen in the future

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
mine doesn't say wamo either it says crest national or something like that
OK, now I am getting really paranoid. I purchased my copy about two weeks ago. Having just looked at it, it has neither of the above marked around the center ring. Where is this printed, on the data side or label side? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks