Yes...another Windows question...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jason Adams, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I just did a fresh install of XP to one of my partitions. Now, I want to get rid of other install of XP on the C drive to free up some space. When I startup, it tells me to select from 2 OS. I tried right clicking C and formatting it that way, but that didnt work. Any assistance would be good.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Right click on my computer.
    Go to properties.
    Go to Advanced tab.
    Click Startup and Recovery Settings Button.
    You'll see a dropdown that lists the windows installations it will try to boot.
    If you knor for sure which one in the list it is, you can select it and see and uncheck "allow 30 seconds" and it will automatically occur.

OR Click "EDIT".

You're C: option will appear as this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

You can delete that leaving you the only option is Boot to D: or wherever.

That having been said, you are much better off to fix this where your windows partition is on C: because quite a bit of software is unfortunately hardwired to look for the WINDOWSSYSTEM32 directory on C: instead of using the %sysdir% variable.

3. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

That was a beautiful response, Chris; detailed and eloquent. [​IMG]

4. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Yeah Andrew, it was. But there still is the problem of having all of that space on my C drive.

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You wont be able to move the Windows partition to C: without reinstalling, so you either have the choice of leaving it as it is, or formatting and using it as another 'drive'. You can always change the drive letter later so that it follows the one for the OS.

A possible alternative is to use Partition Magic to merge C: and D: but I don't know if Windows will like that. It may refuse to boot. Partition Magic could also be used to resize c: down to the minimum size allowed which would get the vast majority of your space back.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yeah, don't do this.

Because the registry has so many settings addressed to C: including the three boot files, this change will make sure you don't boot [​IMG]

Really, the best solution is to format clean both partitions, re-install on C: and be done with it [​IMG]