What's new

Yes, another what AVR should i buy thread :) (1 Viewer)

SteveNixon

Grip
I currently have:
Mitsubishi Diamond Series 65inch HDTV
Energy Take-5 speakers with s12.3 sub
Dennon 2900 DVD player

I would like multi-room, an mp3 input, and simple setup...and for less than 400 dollars...

...oh yea, the room is about 300 sq ft with ceramic tile floors and about 30 foot ceilings...

i have looked around the forum but there are so many differing opinions

HELP!!!

That is all,
thanks,
Steve.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a very big room for the take 5 and a $400 receiver. You're asking quite a bit... You may want to look used or refurb so you can get a little more power for your dollar, especially since your setup is currently 5.1. Check out www.harmanaudio.com and ebay for Harman Kardon refurbs. www.ac4l.com for Marantz and www.ecost.com for Denon. All but the lowest models should have multi/room multi/source capability in the last couple of model years.

I don't know what you mean by MP3 input? If you mean specifically IPOD support; that is not very common quite yet.

SteveNixon

Grip
not common? that sucks - most of my music is on my rio mp3 player...i can burn it to CD but it would be so much easier if my mp3 and receiver were compatible...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are a number of ways to make an MP3 player work with the receiver, depending on what type of outputs it has.

Joey B

Stunt Coordinator
Why can't you just run a line out of your headphone jack on your MP3 player into one of the open analog inputs on your receiver? A 1/8" mini to rca cable will do it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The headphone jack deal doesn't usually give good results because it is a low voltage output intended to drive headphones.

MikeNg

Second Unit
John's right. You could 'make it work' but it's not the best way to go. Ideally you'd have a line out on the MP3 player.

Maybe think about getting another MP3 player?

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
You could burn a CD with MP3 files instead of an audio CD. The quality won't be ideal, but you can fit a lot more files on a single disc. To be honest, with bookshelves, you may not notice the difference.

I just got a Pioneer Elite VSX72 that has a proprietary cable for IPODs. You would have to get an IPOD, and the receiver costs ~$1000.

IPOD compatibility will probably be more common in the year to come.

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
That is nice. Does it have a proprietary music player? Or can you use what you use on your computer like ITunes?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
For about $20 at Walmart you can pick up a beldin fm transmitter so all you'll have to do is plug it into your mp3 player and tune in with your AVR's tuner to the right fm station. I do the opposite so I can use my fm radio like wireless headphones at late night. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks