What's new

YELLO, does any one here listen to them? (1 Viewer)

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Yello has been one of my all time favorite groups for about 10 years now. I have all of their albums, and a lot of their singles with rare tracks and B sides. How many of you listen to yello? I like all of their albums, but my favorites are One Second, Flag, Baby, and Zebra. They are coming out with a brand new album this fall titled "The Eye". It should be really kool.

SV

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah, i listen to them. ;) get it? hello? bueller?

seriously though, i only have their best of, but it's a great album. a former co-worker of mine used to bring in their stuff all the time - he's kind of the one who turned me onto them.

they seem to have a great flair for combining/emulating different musical styles, while providing their own electronic flair.

definitely good stuff - heck, now i'm gonna have to go listen to my cd.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Ted Lee

Oh yeah I get it;). Hi there Ted, thanks for posting. It's great to hear from another Yello fan. You know in the 10 yrs that I have been listening to their music, I have collected about 17 of their CD's. I really like to use their music to demo my system, to audition hi-fi gear at stores, or just to have fun listening. Yes, "Essential" is an excellent album, and it's one that I highly recommended to people curious about them. You know it's very interesting just how many people have never even heard of them. It's too bad cause they deserve more recognition.

Happy listening,

SV

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yello fan here as well,though I haven't listened to them in years.Back in the early-mid/late 80's I spinned their cassettes every day.
Just the other day I've heard one of their songs on Miami Vice rerun on TNN,it bought back fun memories.
These records would make an exellent choice for MC DVD-A or SACD.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I like Yello a lot. I started with an album after I heard "Oh Yeah" but they did some great other tracks as well. I like "Gold" and the songs with Shirley Bassey. Great percussion and a very creative team...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yep, I like their stuff too! Although I enjoy fairly well everything I've heard of theirs, I tend to particularly enjoy their extended mixes including those for 'The Race' and 'Vicious Games'.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the song "The Race" is from the 1988 album FLAG. This song made it's debut on FLAG with a runtime of (8:08). The song "The Race" was then shortened on their best of album "Essential" with a runtime of (3:15). The album ECCENTRIX REMIXES has a very kool remix version of "The Race" (Brake Light Mix) with a runtime of (6:50). The Race is also one of my all time favorites, and one that I play often. I remember hearing this song in the 1992 movie "The Cutting Edge" which stars DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly.

One YELLO album that you all need to check out is the 1991 release "BABY", this one has to be one of their absolute best. This is one that's a must own, I highly recommend it. Almost all the songs are not available on any of their other albums. Check this one out.

A really great place to get a lot of YELLO's CD's at 40%-80% off is Half.com. Some may be slightly used but in excellent condition. Here's a link:

http://half.ebay.com/search/search.j...ic&query=Yello

SV

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Lee Scoggins,

Thanks for sharing that link to Positive Feedback, it was a fun read. Dieter and Boris are quite a team.

SV

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I love Yello!
My favorite album is You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess, followed by Stella, and I've heard some tracks from Solid Pleasure that I love. I think YGSYTAE is just brilliant; but the version of "I Love You" is better on the cassette; I don't remember what version the vinyl is.

I've been meaning to get back up on getting more of their cd's recently... they're so good. Wouldn't it be awesome if they toured? My roommate at Full Sail knew them (he was Swiss) and said they were really cool... Boris Blank would write all the music, and then Dieter Meier would write the lyrics independently, then they would just slam them together. Genius!

"and the everlasting night in Manhattan..."

"No you're not supacool..." :D

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew Chong and Kevin Farley,

Thank you both for joining in, it's nice to have you here.

Kevin Farley,

That's kool that your roommate actually knows them. That's nice to know that they're both cool guys. And yes, it would be totally awesome if they toured.

Some music of theirs that I would love to see released on an album is their music score from the movie "Senseless". It's some great music that really deserves to be released.

SV

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
How could I have forgotten to mention: another of my favourite Yello works was and still is 'Tied Up'. I still have the 12" (and miss listening to it; time to dust off my turntable).

To those unfamiliar with 'Tied Up', it makes extensive use of that 'pitch shifted' low vocal effect made popular in their 'Oh Yeah' piece. Here, it is used to great effect in a rhythmic 'rap'-type vocal.

"It's the African Queen, the Babaumba [Baba-Umba] Beat" Appropriate lyric line, the piece has an African beat and African vocals.

Fond Memories... :)

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
love YELLO! I've been following them since "You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess" back in the early 80's. Has it been 20 years already?

I agree that "Baby" is a great album- "Her blue eyes looked green to me"... love that line- however, my personal favorite is "Stella". I still get goose bumps to this day listening to "Domingo".

On a wierd side note- has anybody heard of a little known group from the early 80's called "The Android Sisters"? extremely quirky group that reminds me of Yello whenever I listen to them. Not as polished but just as fun.

Jimmy

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Jimmy Nugent,

It's so kool that even after 20 years Yello is still going strong. I'm sure looking foward to their upcoming album "The Eye".

I have never heard of the 80's group "The Android Sisters". Looks like I've got another music group I need to check out. Thanks for sharing.

SV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks