Year 2002, cloning, nd Jurassic park

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    With all of the cloning going on today I am wondering just how feasible it is to clone dinosaurs as was done in Jurassic park. I know this question was brought up a couple of years ago but there seems to have been "advances" made in the cloning process. Assuming mosquitos trapped in amber still have liquified dinoblood, can this be done?

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Nope, not even close. This was brought up in my genetics class a couple years ago. The technology just isn't there. Plus remember in the movie they had to fill in the missing pieces with amphibian DNA. Easier said then done. Maybe a few more years down the road we'll be closer to doing it but not yet.

Jeff

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Yeah, I would think we still have lots of hurdles. Our gene splicing technology is still in its infancy and I don't think they are expert at doing this with animals yet (plant technologies on the other hand are getting pretty robust).

Also, all the cloning activities currently use surrogate mothers, which favors mammalian cloning. I don't think reptiles are as easy. Certainly they don't have the technology to implant eggs yets. I would think they would need to clone some reptiles reliably before they could even think of attempting dinosaurs.

Kenneth

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Plus, even though this was a fictional charactor in a sci fi film, Jeff Goldblume has an excellent point, just because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it. I think it's safe to assume that a T-Rex would be a pretty dangerous animal to control, not to mention Velociraptors etc...
    But I suppose if they HAD to clone dinosaurs, they should stick strictly to plant eaters like Brachiosaurus and Tricerotops.
    Alas this is all speculation as it's not feasable just yet.

5. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

If not today then, when? 20 years? Ever? Is there any fundamental reason why it will never happen? Setting aside ethical considerations, I just mean, will it ever be possible? I thought there was some discussion of cloaning that woolly mammoth that was recently discovered frozen.

6. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

7. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

The problem with that, Ashley, is that we don't know how dinosaurs act. Hell, we're not even sure how they look. I would be extremely interested in seeing a living, breathing dinosaur, just for educational purposes. I do think that this type of cloning will be possible, just not now. Whether or not it should be done is purely a matter of ethics, and that was not the question.

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I'd rather have scientists working on giving every man a clone of Heidi Klum first. [​IMG]

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Im no geneticist, but isnt this assuming that the DNA they do find is insufficient and needs to have other DNA put in to fill in the missing part?
    Lets say they find a good quantity of it, what then.
    I remember reading about them trying to bring back the Wooly Mammoth since the specimen they found frozen in ice had plenty of DNA.

10. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

11. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

12. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I doubt very seriously that we'd be able to clone a dinosaur, ever. DNA is a very large and complex molecule that simply cannot withstand the ravages of time. Finding DNA a million years old, much less 65 to 235 million years old, intact enough to produce anything worthwhile, even with knowledgeable geneticists filling in the gaps, is simply not within the realm of possibility. To use an analogy, it would be like reconstructing a 3000-piece jigsaw puzzle from four microscopic scraps of cardboard from four different puzzle pieces.

The woolly mammoth, however, is another story. Bringing back a creature only tens of thousands of years old that's been preserved (not fossilized), especially a mammal with living descendants, is something I would expect scientists to achieve within my lifetime.

I say, bring it on.