Yeah, but my stereo disappoints...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddAC, Aug 7, 2002.

1. ToddAC

ToddAC Auditioning

OK, I just hooked up my new HTIAB and my DVD's sound great, but the problem is nothing else does.

I thought that If I put my stereo or TV into the reciever I'd get some nice 'psudo-surround' out of all 5 speakers and the Sub. Needless to say, I've been dissappointed. With audio from analog souces, only the rear two speakers are active.

Is there anything I can do? Is this just my system (Sony HT 1700D), or are all Home Theaters like that?

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Hi Todd and welcome.

Only the rear speakers are active? If that's the case then check your wiring and setup. Otherwise:

Most TV and stereo broadcasts are in stereo at best and all you are going to get from your receiver is sounds from the front channels. Some TV shows offer surround sound (Pro Logic) and few broadcasts via digital cable or satellite offer 5.1 audio. Some receivers have "surround effects" that can simulate surround sound from a stereo signal but it usually sounds like an echo in the rear speakers. My advise is listen to the TV and radio in stereo mode (unless its broadcast in surround) and use the DD for movies.

P.S. Depending on how you have the TV audio signal routed, you may not even be getting a stereo signal. I run mine from my cable box through a hi-fi VCR to decode the stereo signal before sending it to my receiver. Some TV's have stereo output jacks that can be run to the receiver also.

Bill

3. Bradley_K

Bradley_K Auditioning

by default, on the 1700-D, the rear speakers are barely even turned up... read your manual to go into your setup options, and get those rears turned up a bit. You'll notice a niiice difference [​IMG]

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) All speakers don't have to be used in every config. Stereo music sounds best in stereo. Some receivers have fake surround modes which will make stereo music come from the rears, it sounds horrible.

2) You said only the rears are on when listening to stereo music? Something is very wrong. If you turn off all processing and play stereo sources, you should get sound from the front 2 speakers.

3) The "pseudo surround" you seek for TV is prologic. Prologic will work with any source designed for surround decoding (and many that weren't specifically designed as such). Most dolby receivers/processors offer Prologic ot Prologic 2, which is a surround process applied to 2 channel sources to get surround. It works well with TV and 2 channel film soundtracks-- not so impressive with music in most cases.

-Vince

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Todd, Sounds like you have some adjustments to do:
    - Go to the Primer (link at the top of the Basics fourm) and read up on proper speaker placement. (Speakers and subwoofer.) Then read about "Calibration" and get yourself a SPL meter and a copy of the AVIA dvd.
    - Are you using good 12 ga speaker wires or the cheap wires that came with the unit? You want at least 16 ga wire for the short runs to the fronts, but most of us buy a spool of 12 ga and use it everywhere. The Sound King brand from www.partsexpress.com is a good, budget wire.
    - If this is a brand new system, the speakers, even inexpensive ones, need some hours of break in. Speakers are mechanical devices with metal 'springs' that are stiff to start with. Let em play for ... 30-100 hours before you decide how they sound.
    - CONSIDER THE SOURCE: Most CATV programs have really crappy sound. They still run under the assumption that most TV's are mono with a single 4" speaker. Like looking at newsprint under a magnifying glass, hooking up a 5.1 speaker system to a broadcast TV source will show flaws that are not apparent from a distance. Dont judge your equipment with such a low-grade source.
    Good Luck.

7. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    In your opinion, how does the Sound King brand compare
    with the Radio Shack MegaCable 12 ga wire (278-1268)..
    that is if you or anyone else reading this thread has
    experience with both...

thanks..

- asim

8. ToddAC

ToddAC Auditioning

I want to thank you guys for bringing this thread back from the dead! I posted the original question back in August '02!

All the suggestions are great! Thanks!

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've used the Radio Shack MegaCable and it's great. But it costs about $1/ft which is way more than the Sound King brand. Several people here have used the Sound King stuff so it usually gets the nod for people who can wait a few days to hook things up.

Todd: Sorry that I did not notice the date on your post.

Since you have had several months use on the system, what do you think now? Your impressions early/now may help lots of other people who have bought their first HTB.

10. ToddAC

ToddAC Auditioning

Jeez, I wish I had heard from all you guys sooner!

I returned my system not too long after my post because I was so dissatisfied!

If I had only known then what I know now...

(don't get me wrong, I still appreciate the discussion!)

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So what did you get/do you have instead?

12. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"Stereo music sounds best in stereo."

I don't agree at all with that, I NEVER listen to music in stereo, always in Pro Logic II Music mode, I agree anything else that mostly adds echo is horrible, but Pro Logic II Music makes an amazing job at playing music in surround.

I actually just compared stereo to Pro Logic II Music, and stereo mode sounds absolutly horrible and flat.

I recommend trying Pro Logic II Music for music.