Yay, new Prince of Persia game. Boo, it's in 3-freakin'-D!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Evans, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Nooo, why, why?

A new Prince of Persia game is excellent news, but why can't we have an old-school 2D game? Jordan Mechner is an absolute genius with 2D and creating diabolical puzzles that require brains, reflexes, and split-second timing.

But 3D? C'mon. I admit to not playing the previous 3D PoP game, but 3D gives freedom of motion and that freedom makes it way harder to script the kind of skilled puzzling for any number of reasons including area size and typically awful camera control.

It's very unfortunate, though I do hope the game will turn out ok as I am a big fan of the series in general and a sucker for good swordfighting. I have an unfortunately broken copy of Konami's SNES translation of the game that is one of my favorite SNES games ever.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Is he really? I had no idea. Hmm, well, I definitely think that Last Express would make an amazing movie. I walkthrough'd that entire game just because I was so interested in the storyline :p).

There's a press release up at Planet GameCube that says Mechner is working "hand-in-hand" with Ubi Soft's Montreal dev team, though you're quite correct that his true level of involvement could be just about anything.

4. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

3D games do kinda make puzzles a little in your face easy. Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a perfect example.

You have to try Redguard. If you're looking for a challenging 3D game with puzzles and sword fights, then check this game out. It's my favourite game of all time. The puzzles are nothing similar to Tomb Raider. The story is great and the music will impress almost anyone.

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"A new Prince of Persia game is excellent news, but why can't we have an old-school 2D game?"

I had the EXACT same reaction when I heard the news today Mark. I thought of how much fun the first two games were, then I thought of how lame the 3-D version was (though to be honest I only played the demo) then I found myself wishing they could make the fourth in the series 2-D again.

Unfortunately, since most consumers are lemmings and only run forward, never backward, 2-D will probably always be thought of as a dead technology.

7. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I had the original PoP for the PC and loved it. I didn't get far, but I remember a neat mix of puzzles and action (as well as what I thought was exceptional animation).

I wonder if it'll be a side-scroller when and if it reaches the GBA. Does anyone know if the GameBoy cart is worth picking up? Is it the original game, unchanged?

-j

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

The gameboy cart is excellent. I don't know if it is exactly the same as the PC version, but I thought it was one of the best games on the gameboy reguardless.