What's new

YAY for me! Denon AVR-1709 for $299! (1 Viewer)

slammy77

Agent
Real Name
Sam
Just landed it on ebay. I'm so excited. I hope it's a good receiver. I haven't found any reviews on it yet.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Congrats! It should be a very good receiver.
It doesn't do the new HD audio formats, but it has 7.1 analog inputs. So, if you get a blu ray player, get one that does the decoding itself, and has the analog outputs, and you'll be ok.
Good luck with it...............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I'd also make sure that it comes w/ a valid factory warranty--Denon will honor their warranty ONLY if the product was purchased from an authorized Denon retailer.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

Really? I was thinking of getting this one myself. I thought it did do the new HD audio formats... which ones doesn't it do? I have a PS3 for my Blu-Ray player so is this a bad match for me?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Really..........See here:
Denon USA | AVR-1709
Scroll down, click on Detailed Specifications, then scroll down and see the space next to Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, and dts-HD Master Audio is blank, instead of having a check mark next to them. In the Denons, you'll need to jump up a couple of notches to the AVR-1909.
Denon USA | AVR-1909
See under Detailed Specifications, as above.

You could go with an Onkyo TX-SR606
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video
or a Yamaha RX-V663
RX-V663

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

Thanks, Ed for the response. That's a bit of a letdown, since I was hoping to stick under $500...and thanks for the two recommendations. I'm letdown with Yamaha's at that price point and above and only have two HDMI inputs. It's a shame because I currently have a Yamaha and would have liked to been loyal... but that Onkyo you pointed out sounds like a great deal and does what I want (3+ HDMI hookups, Sirius ready, at least 75 watts per channel and being able to decode all major audio formats)

I guess I have to wonder whether it's a steal vs. the Denon 1909 or if the extra money is worth it to jump up.... any thoughts?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's hard to beat Onkyo right now for features, at a reasonable price. You can check Yamahas site, and see what the model numbers for the next one up and maybe the second one up. Then check on Amazon.com for them. Amazon has very good prices sometimes. You may find a Yamaha that you need, at a price you can afford.

I'd love to have the Denon 3808ci, but talk about out of price range........

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I wound up ordering the Onkyo 606 and pick it up in a few hours. As said before, this thing is one of the better values around, and for someone who's not looking for a class jump in receiver (outside of the ability to do HD Audio) I think this will suit me perfect and doesn't break the bank. I'd love to get an even better one, but it would be a long time before I could justify that purchase and I need the upgrade in a hurry... Circuit City had it online for $379.99 + Tax and then I am picking it up at the local CC. Perfect!

Thanks for the heads up, Ed. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I just got my Iron Man Blu-Ray Screener the other night (I'll be reviewing Blu-Rays for popcultureshock.com starting over the next few weeks) and calibrated the receiver last night... and sampled the scene where Iron Man vs. the Fighter Jets... NICE! TruHD is very active and am very glad to have gotten this receiver in time. I'll really dig into the disc this weekend but I can tell I'm going to be very happy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks