What's new

*Yawn* New Yamaha's (5800 series) are LAME! (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Looks like they have done nothing that matters. Just a cosmetic upgrade and little else.

Pretty weak.

2 in component on a $800 receiver (5890) is kinda weak.

Sorry if anyone takes offence to this, but it seems like Yamaha didn't even try!

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Looks like they've added a 'pure direct' mode for 2 channel. Did they make changes/upgrades to the YPAO system?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kenneth, this is the second anti-Yamaha diatribe you've started in about as many weeks. What gives? Every major manufacturer changes the line-up annually, often with only minor differences.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Honestly:

I was thinking about BUYING a 5890, and am just a little steamed that they have fallen behind the competition and due to a weak feature set, it is out of the running. I expected more.

I have absolutly NOTHING against Yamaha.

mylan

Screenwriter
Maybe you should consider Denon 2805 or 3805. I have an aging Yamaha 2092 that still sounds good but doesn't have
DTS or any of the new "bells and whistles". One thing that griped me was sometimes the display would read "pro logic" when it should have said "dolby digital". Now when I play
TV through it, it does but with DVD it says PL, even if I am running D.D. through it. It is for that reason I am going to replace with afore-mentioned Denon 3805 when I can. I just hate that remote, oh well, nothings perfect!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You both might want to look at the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. 3 component inputs, tons of power, Auto MCACC w/ room eq, THX Select II, and available under $500 from authorized dealers.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Kevin:

Really all they missed was component video switching. It is a deal breaker. Everyone I work with says the same. DVD player, game system (PS2, XBox) and you are filled.

Also, the build quality (volume control) is a step BACKWARDS - the unit is just finshed cheaper.

I am sure it is a great piece of hardware, but it does not seem competive. Even the less expensive Pioneer 1014 LOOKS and FEELS better than the Yamaha.

However, Yamaha did a great job with having lots of digital jacks.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
tommy_E

Pure Direct turns off all the stuff that is not needed to make sound (video processing, the display, etc.) - supposed to reduce noise when you are enjoying music.

tommy_E

Agent
thanks alot kenneth....

if you kno- what is the difference from the 5790 which i have now..and the 5890? all i know is that its rated at 120 watts...only ten more..and the pure direct..is that all yammie did?

plus the THX label...all bogus from what im hearing..im pretty knowledgeable with this stuff but...is it a hoax? ive seen reviews that it is all junk....but the THX site says how good this is to have your product certified? can someone tell me?

thanks

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Back panel looks the same. I don't think they ADDED anything to it.

No XM on the 90, but they have it on the 60!!!???

They ditched the brushed aluminum look and went for just matte plastic (weak!).

THX label, meh, I wouldn't use that to decide one way or the other.

tommy_E

Agent
they have it on the 60?!!?! i had no clue...wow..

dont mind me asking- whats your setup? dvd player..speakers etc...

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Just in the last week, got:

Klipsch F3's
Klipsch C3
Klipsch B3's (rears)

Have:

JBL E250P (will probably get a SVS, or Martin Logan from work to replace it...eventually)
Junk Sony receiver and non-progressive scan DVD player
Sony 300 CD changer (use as a transport, DAC in receiver)
27" JVC (will replace with a 37" LCD eventually)

Basically, I am in a full rebuild. I cannot spend too much on any one piece of gear, as I have a LOT of stuff to get.

tommy_E

Agent
how u doin kenneth...very nice...im only 16 lol so its not like i can go buy parasound $4,000 amps lol....i got the-
yammie 5790
athena AS-C1, and the AS-B1's
CRAPPY KLH's for the rearslol from bestbuy...
sony dvd player..the dvp-650v {fckin known for the light to go out....the front display after 2 years i think? people all had problems...the display alot of things dont show so it wuld say
d sc change... not disc...lol messed up
and an old mitsubishi tv lol..not really into tv's

BTW- you believe in tweaks? like the coins on speakers{tried that lol} works but i wanna know how it works? ...you believe all that crap or is it true? freezing cds.....i dunno..sry if im botherin u...i dunt know if theres a forum on this site for tweaks

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same klipsch speakers as you have and I am running with 5790. It sounds great to me for the money I spent on this receiver. Roughly $530 with employee discount. However, if you are going to spend $800 on a receiver this would definitely not be on top of my list. The reason is HK AVR-635. My friend has the Klipsch setup also and he tried out the 635 in his setup. It was really good. It also features 3 component in and 1 out that the yamaha lacks. Amazon.com sells this for 749.99 at this moment. If you would like to check it out in person, you can see it at Circuit City.

Also, do not under estimate the power of HK. That HK was able to handle extremely LOUD volume(Master volume set to 0) without ANY hesitation. The vocals sounded clear and very natural. I had tried the pioneer as mentioned in my prevous threads but it sounded harsh to me at higher volume with my klipsch speakers. hope this helps.

Edit: I think STRAIGHT mode on 5790 is similar to Pure Direct. However, STRAIGHT mode does not disable video processing. You can watch any content with straight mode. It sounds great for 2-channel stereo music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks