YATFAS (Yet Another Flexy And Sonosub)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArmenK, Apr 1, 2002.

1. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

I finally finished up my flexy rack during spring break. This is my flexy with everything loaded
    [​IMG]
    I also worked with my roommate on a tempest based sonosub for the AES at UCLA. It is 219L tuned to 16.5 Hz with a 6" wide port. The sonosub is almost done, we just need to mount the amp, put some dowels and a plate on the top cap and glue/screw in the bottom cap. We couldn't wait for all that to hear it so we ran a wire through the port and hooked it up to the amp to listen. All I can say is WOW does this thing pound. Heres what we have so far
    [​IMG]

2. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Nice pix, that flexy rack looks great, as does the sub.
    A question from one college student to another: how much did each one cost you? I have a sub and a rack to put things on currently, but I'd love to build something myself, if it wasn't too costly.
    Congrats, and enjoy the bass. [​IMG]

3. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

I think the rack cost me around $100 with paint and primer. The cost of the sub would depend on what tools you have available. Our project cost us around $600 but that includes a router and bit. This cost also includes the 250W Parts express plate amp. BTW, we bought the driver and amp from Kyle over at acoustic visions and he was great to deal with, I highly recommend them.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Armen, glad to see you put together the sub (I think that was you that emailed me for some input on the sub's contruction), and are happy with the final product.

5. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

Yup, thanks alot for your help Pat

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Very nice Armen. I just finished a flexy for my Components/RPTV and am starting construction on my first sonosub this weekend.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Armen, do yo have any specifics about your "flexy" rack, I have a lil bro that is leaving for college, and that looks like a really cool option, any help would be appreciated.

8. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

sure, what do you wanna know? I bought all of the stuff at home depot. I started with a 4' X 8' piece of MDF and chopped it up with my crappy table saw. This was a real pain because of the massive size of the board. If I were to do this again I would look around for some smaller pieces. Since I didn't have access to a drill press, when it came time to drill the holes in the shelves, I clamped all of them togethor and used a 11/16 inch spade drill bit to drill holes where the rods would pass through. My drill has a bubble level built in so that was pretty useful to drill aproximately vertical. I primed and painted the shelves. I used spray paint to paint the smaller shelves and a roller to paint the larger ones. I used 5/8 inch threaded rods with matching bolts and washers. The rods were 2 feet in height each I believe, so I had to buy 4 couplers for the taller part of the rack. You can see the couplers if you look closely at the receiver/TV level. I used black rubber feet on the bottom of the rack. I could not find any cap nuts for the tops so i just have regular hex nuts on there for now.

If you have access to a drill press, it would make things much smoother. I had to tap the shelves down onto the rods because they did not line up perfectly. Good luck!

Armen

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If you want to know the name of the "cap nuts" for a search engine I would recommend using the words "acorn nuts". I would also recommend maybe adding an additional threaded rod/bolt under the TV or that shelf will sag (this happened to me but was easily corrected) due to weight. For any others who intend to build a similar setup the threaded rod/bolts also come in 1'/3'/6' lengths as well.

BTW your rack looks kick ass compared to mine (I still need to paint mine and haven't decided if I want to round the edges or not), I didn't do the multi-tier look (mines all vertical with the TV on top on 3' bolts). Will definitely "borrow" your idea on the rubber furniture feet (was originally using small cut up mouse pad materials to level against my concrete floors).

Tempest is a kick ass sub (own a pair myself) and I don't know if you live in a dorm or an apartment but if you do you might want to watch your levels some as most neighbors don't really appreciated the way it can move pictures, plates, etc while sounding really nice :b .