Yao Ming Song?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There's a song out honoring NBA player Yao Ming:
    http://www.clutchcity.net/images/mp3/yao_ming_mix56.mp3
    Last night on Fox News, I heard some protesters down in Venezuela, and their chant was "to the tune of" this song. I put that in quotes, because I'm sure it's the other way around. So, what song is the Yao Ming Song based on?
    BTW, I'm only referring to the "Yao Ming, Yao Ming Yao Ming Yao Ming!" section of the song. The Venezuelans were not rapping. [​IMG]

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I know the Yao Ming song you're talking about.

I think I've heard the tune when I was watching World Cup soccer on TV. I think it's a cheer that is pronounced like "Oh way, oh way oh way oh way!" as far as I can tell.

3. Bryce

Bryce Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure in the original song they say "Ole, Ole, Ole" but I could be wrong.

4. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

You're probably right. It isn't easy to pick out the words when they're being shouted by 40,000+.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, hopefully I'm not showing my ignorance, but I would imagine Venezuela would have a fairly large soccer fan base. I know nothing about soccer, but I understand it's huge in most of South America. It sounded like a soccer chant, so that's probably what it was. Thanks for the replies!

6. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

They aired a video along with the song during tonights Rockets game [​IMG] It was an awesome game as well.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The only version of that melody I've heard before was a soccer chant song from Denmark (I believe), where the words were "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole, we are the champions, we are the champions".

I know it has its roots in soccer chants, but I don't know where it comes from originally.

8. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    To the best of my knowledge, it comes from Argentina. I remember hearing Argentinian soccer fans chant this(along with other tunes) at Copa Libertadores matches decades ago. It goes "Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole... Campeon, Campeon". It may have been started elsewhere so chime in if you heard it before. Incidently, you chant "ole!" when your team passes the ball elegantly at the end of the game to hold the lead- the soccer equivalent of Na Na, Hey Hey.

9. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I thought that there was a play on this on ESPN2's uncensored thoughts this week.
    Something about it being a brazilian soccer chant, i didn't understand the joke because I hadn't seen this nor heard the song.

10. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter