Yammy rx-v1300, or something else?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff.bart, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

After 15 years of living with my post-college stereo system – a half-decent Kenwood, the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble II system, Sony CD – I’ve finally scraped up enough money to upgrade.

First, the A/V receiver. I’ve researched intensively for six months. Lately I’ve started listening to the contenders. Basically, I don’t want to spend any more than $900 and preferably closer to $600. My choices are the usual suspects. Marantz 7200, Onkyo 797, Denon 2802 or 3802. I’ve also looked at Rotel's 1055 (out of my price range) and the new Integra 7.2 (I can get for $1,000). For a variety of reasons, I am leaning to a Yamaha, in particular the new RX-V 1300. I've also ruled out HK.

I listened to the Yammy 1300 versus the Marantz 7200. The dealer proclaimed to like both, but seemed to favor the 1300 slightly. I thought both were similar in tone, though perhaps the 7200 was a touch (barely) warmer. Yet the Yammy did have more oompth on one of my staple testing tracks, the opening movement of Dvorak’s New World symphony. The Yamaha had a few more features, more power and a nicer, less cluttered look.

What I’d like to know is whether anyone else here has listened to the 1300 and what they think of it. (I am also considering the 2200 and 2300). I’ve seen little information on the 1300 so far. Also, does the evidently debugged Outlaw 950 surpass all of these receivers, and if so, what the 2-3 big differences?

By the way, I hear Yamaha has toned down their receivers, but assuming they still are a bit on the bright side, I figure I’d get speakers that are more neutral. Any quick suggestions for brands? (I ask a more specific question about speakers in the speakers forum).

2. Brent Harritt

Brent Harritt Auditioning

I just got an RX-V2200 for $650 as they are being replaced by the 2300. If you can still find a 2200 to scarf up, I would highly recommend it.

Brent

3. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Jeff:
    The Outlaw 950 is strictly a pre/pro and does not have the amplifiers with it like a receiver does.
    I have owned quite a few Yamaha receivers in my time and just replaced my RX-V2095 with a RX-V3200. If the RX-V1300 and up are as well built as my 3200, then you will be buying a very good receiver. I have never had a problem with any of my Yamaha receivers, but I always made sure they were well ventilated. I am driving the PSB Image series speakers with the Yamaha and it only gets slightly warm when run at a good level during a two hour movie.
    I vote for the Yamaha.

TCIII

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Jeff,

I have the SR6200, and I like it, very much. I think if you can wait to next month, the new SR7300 will be available. I like also Yamies, but I like more Marantz. But audition both recievers, and if you can, with the same speakers that you will have, and then decide if you like a warmer reciever or more flat o bright.

5. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Jeff, I think you'll be pleased with the Yammie, I am a dealer of many brands of equipment, and I have the 2200 running my bedroom HT.......
    bUT NOTHING BEATS A BLIND AUDITION!!!! There should be a Tweeter somewhere in the dc area close to you that would sell Denon, Yamaha , pio elite , and ES......get a salesman to set-up a BLIND AUDITION through the SAME speakers WITH THE SAME SOURCE at matched volume levels AND pick one!!!!

6. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. I admit, I am leaning heavily toward the Yahama. I looked at the Marantz Sr7300 (found a picture on the web). Looks nice, but not as clean as the 1300. In my test, I did not find a big difference in the sound of the Marantz 7200 and the 1300.

The Yammy had noticeably more punch on my one of my test CDs (Dvorak 9th, first movement. Neumann/Czech Harmonic). But I couldn’t discern whether the punch was more aggressive than it ought to be or more natural. It sounded good to me. That’s one of the problems with my inexperience in testing higher-quality speaker lines. I have the ears to discern things, but need to do more listening.

Matt, now that I think about it, I am surprised the one dealer did not offer a blind test with the Marantz and 1300 since they were priced basically the same. It certainly would have made sense. It did not occur to me (inexperience again). I have to say, that’s colored my view of the dealer.

TC, I read a lot of reviews on the Outlaw 1050 during my research and had just seen the 950. I assumed it was the replacement for the 1050 and didn’t notice it was a pre/pro (hell, I just learned what a pre/pro was a few weeks ago). Thanks for pointing it out. I feel kind of silly. That’s why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Still have a few more things to learn. What ever I buy might have to last until the kids get out of college.